• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auto Insurance for Military Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie237

Progressive wouldn't insure my M1008, on account of the VIN saying it's "government" rather than a "C" or a "K." A couple databases run the VIN and it comes up as an S-10. Shrug. Just a matter of calling around, I guess.

justinwregier

I have my 1986 M1009 CUCV insured with progressive online...
It is listed as a D10 Military Blazer on my insurance cards. I am atleast the 2nd civilian owner though if that counts, clean vin and registered in the state of OHIO.
$43 bucks a month for my wife and I to be covered, not to bad since the truck is paid for.
I have been with them over a year and no issues yet.
Also I have never spoke with anyone, only point and clicked to my policy...
SO I HAVE NO IDEA IF FLO CAN HELP OR NOT :p

Flyingvan911

I am going to be insured through Allstate. I called my agent and told her what it is, a deuce, blah, blah, blah. She said no problem. Just call when before I pick it up.

Cassive

You wouldn't believe the hassle I've been going through trying to get insurance. I have my two Scout II's insured with Progressive and when I called to get insurance for my newly-acquired M1008, several things came up in the conversation that made a small problem into a bigger one. As an active military member, I have my Scout's registered back home in Indiana, but they are kept and driven here in southern California. Apparently, that's a big no-no for Progressive, so when the lady discovered that, she put me on hold and came back saying my policy will not be eligible for renewal at the end of August. According to them, one of my vehicles must be in Indiana in order for me to carry a policy from there. Also, the fact that the M1008 has a rating of over 1-ton makes it un-insurable thru Progressive unless it's on a commercial policy. I think she felt bad about the whole thing, so I ended up getting the M1008 covered as a D30, but only until the end of August when the whole policy expires. I'm probably going to try and go thru USAA since I use them for banking already, but I'm almost certain that a policy for vehicles in SoCal is going to be more expensive than one for rural Indiana.

mtjbrown

same thing I ran into with Progressive. Their commercial insurance is not cheap!! I am currently with State Farm, they saved me money all across the board.

J2H

I used the VIN and had it reg'd as a Blazer, I told the guy it was a CUCV M1009 he said... "so its a glorified Blazer"

watkinssr

I use milemeter insurance. They charge by the mile, so you estimate how much you are going to drive, and pay for that. If you go over, you pay some more, either when you notice, or when you renew.

It costs me 40 bucks for 6 months for my m1009. I did have to call to get them to insurance it, since the vin doesn't come up. They didn't care it was military.

Barrman

USAA had trouble with my VIN as well for the M1009. They had to put me on hold, talk to the supervisor and such. Their computer kicks it out as an unknown because of the D in the VIN. She kept asking how big and heavy it was. I tried telling her it is a lot smaller and lighter than the M35A2 they already cover for me and a little smaller and lighter than the M715 also on my policy. I told her it was even smaller and lighter than my Suburban. She finally said "Oh, a Blazer! Yeah, I understand now."

steved454

I set mine up through State Farm. Had the Vin problem. I had to fax a copy of the title and no problems after that. $28 a month I think.

Hogg

Same vin story here, I found out to wait till you have the new title in hand and have it tagged, then proceed with the INS. I used Travelers, called it a civvy blazer, no problems. $40 bucks a month...

Strawman

I use milemeter insurance. They charge by the mile, so you estimate how much you are going to drive, and pay for that. If you go over, you pay some more, either when you notice, or when you renew.

It costs me 40 bucks for 6 months for my m1009. I did have to call to get them to insurance it, since the vin doesn't come up. They didn't care it was military.
Oh man, I just got so exited about this milemeter thing... and then figured out that's only for Texas. :cry:

My M1009 added fine on Geico, registered as a "D10 Blazer" in Ohio.
I'm the second owner though...

watkinssr

wow...I never realized it but your right. Texas only. They say on the website they are going to try and expand it. I love it because I work from home most days, and my wife works about 2 miles from our house. We don't put too many miles onour cars.

Well, I might as well add my insurance story. Tried to add it as another vehicle to my policy with Progressive, website = useless; phone call - over 3/4 ton = commercial; then, in my state (Colo.) they won't touch anything that was military. She sounded cute over the phone, but I told her I understood and that I feel sorry for her loss of business. Talked to a friend at Snakefarm; she told me that she couldn't find a D30 but it would be the same under the policy for a V30 (?). Very reasonable. At E-surance it came up right away as a postal vehicle (sweet, but we don't have postal service here, so I would have to take on another job) but the rate was a bit high. Bottom line, I found that going through a local agent made it go through, and don't speak much. Give year, civi model, and vin and let them earn your business.

The fact that I need insurance is enough to get me, but godforbid I have to pay an elk's family if I ever got into an accident is enough, and, oh, yeah, I need that for a title and reg.

Oh well. It's a small percentage of the money I'm just about to spend on tires.

ehasson

You just can't beat those LIGHT BULB moments!

Sometimes, but you might run into trouble if your the first owner since the government. I say this this because the VIN will not show up when they run it and if they are not familiar with MV's it is kinda hard to explain how your the first owner when the vehicle is 25+ years old.

The agent I delt with was not all all familiar with cucv's she wanted a picture and I told her to just google/image search M1008........And BINGO she was like "oh its a pick-up truck" no issues after that.

-Dale

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK,I GOTTA add my two cents.

I use Gulfway Insurers out of Florida. The policy is ACTUALLY carried by Travelers (I think).

Now, Gulfway insures COLLECTOR vehicles.

They insured my deuce when I had it.

I have my M1009, M1028 and my M101a1 trailer ALL on the same policy. It's like just under $400 a year. FOR ALL THREE.

It's a basic 100/300/100 policy. The ONLY thing is, YOU tell them what it's worth and THAT's the value you get back if it's ever totaled or stolen. So think hard. I'm about to 'up' the value of my M1028A2 though. I doubt I could replace it for the $6k I currently have it valued at. I've got the Blazer valued at $5lk. They don't blink an eye. They just give you a quote.

OH and they want PIX so they can verify the overall SHAPE of the collector vehicle you are insuring. Nothing fancy. Just want to make sure they are not insuring some kind of dented rust bucket that the owner CLAIMS is worth $100k or more and then it gets stolen.

I have NEVER had a claim and I have NEVER had any issues with Gulfway. They are excellent.

Hope that helps

Gulfway Insurers - A Leader in the Specialty Insurance Industry

I forgot. If you insure three vehicles with them you start getting a discount. Yes, a trailer IS a vehicle to them. So I get the discount.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks