• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auto Part Store CV Axles OK?

jrtoffroad

I'm taking a trip to Moab in a couple weeks and thought it would be good to have a couple spare axle shafts with me. What's everyone's thoughts on cv shafts from an autoparts store? How do they compare to the OE 10k axles?

I can get new CV axles from Rock auto for ~$90ea. Brand is GSP (rear part # is NCV82999). A quick search shows OE axles from the typical surplus parts suppliers going for about 200/ea. Not trying to be a cheapskate, but love to save the $ if they strength is equivalent.

I'm sure eventually I'll upgrade to 12k axles, but not anytime soon.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the only parts store axles I'd recommend are the autozone ones. Lifetime warranty.
They are made in China, and the quality isn't the best, but as your intention is to use it as a cheap spare to get you home. Plenty of reports of them doing okay, but a few reports of them failing. The failed ones the warranty is honored, so replacement doesn't cost.

Is the quality as good as OEM? Nope, not at all.
Will they work, at least for a while? It seems like it.

Take all the tools you need to rebuild the shafts with you, so if worst comes to worst you can take parts from multipole broken ones (provided they aren't the same broken part) and get yourself home.

Unfortunately you can't trust a lot of the "surplus" market these days either, as there are a lot of chinesium knockoffs being passed off as genuine OEM surplus.
Either buy from one of the reputable vendors, straight from AM General, or buy the autozone shafts (or from any other physical store) where you can physically return them if/when they fail.

rcamacho

AZ shafts have been fine on my M998 for several months. If they break they are under warranty.

I don’t wheel my truck. If inclined to I’d carry spares and/or upgrade to 12k style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrtoffroad

Thanks for the input! Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but I guess about what I expected. Maybe I'll see if there's any chance of a decent deal on some ACTUAL OE shafts. If all 4 stock shafts were the same length and I could just grab 1 spare, I probably wouldn't care, but since I'll need 3, I'd like to be investing in something that I can trust.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have beat on the AZ shafts with as much as 435HP, the only caveat I would add is do not drive over 85-90MPH with the AZ shafts, the rubber in the boots are too soft and they expand to the point of failure.
I wish I was going to Moab with you, maybe next fall.....

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
I had a torn cv boot on my DS front shaft. My first thought was to replace the boots. After removing the shaft I noticed wear groves were pretty deep from the geared hub seal. Looked to be original shaft. I went with a AZ shaft for these reasons:
1) I put off fixing boot issue until the last minute before a day ride and didn't have another option if I was going to take Humvee. And for those wondering, no, I didn't drive the truck with a torn boot. Was parked as soon as it was spotted.
2) My truck is stock and I don't do anything extreme off road with it.
3) As stated above, lifetime warranty.
4) For $125 out the door, why not?

Guy

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have rebuilt the AZ shafts using the military spec 10K boots to fix the high speed issue, pretty straight forward and very messy, I do not think the original 7K shafts are easily rebuildable due to being "pressed" or "crimped" together rather than having snap rings or wire rings holding them together.
I put them in the band saw and cut the ends off to include the splines and seal area so I can carry one along with shorter 10MM bolts for the brake rotor so I can limp home on three shafts rather than carrying three different spare shafts.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Only issue I had was after test run I noticed some grease around the large end of the outside boot. The metal strap wasn't tight enough. I used a large zip tie over the original clamp and hossed it down tight. Next day it went 170 miles without issue.
Problem solved. Will see if I can get a proper replacement strap and fix. Or, might just keep an eye on current situation and run it.

Guy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks