• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auto start

natemccabe

Has anyone attempeted to install an auto start on they're CUCV? I can honestly say I'm lazy and when its -30 outside I don't relish the idea of heading out to start the 1009 up. I'm wondering if anyone has had success instaling an auto start on a +25 year old diesel.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are a few remote starts for diesels out there. Ones that take into consideration the wait for start and such. I've got one laying around, but never had had the desire to install it.

Couldn't imagine that you could get it working well on one of these persnickety old non-computerized dinosaurs. I'd always have to walk outside to verify that it started and at that point what's the use of the remote start? Anyone desiring creature comforts should really be driving something else. ;)

richingalveston

the problem with Auto start systems from what I have found is that in these old trucks there is nothing to tell the system that the engine started and thus there is nothing to tell the system to quit engaging the starter. A remote switch and serries of relays could be assembled fairly easily to get the starter to engage however, nothing to tell the starter to stop. also, until someone steps on the gas pedal, the high idle solinoid will not engage either.

I would like to put one on mine just so I do not have to sit in the driveway while it warms up to opperating temp.

Skinny

You can buy remote keyfabs which operate a set of relays inside the car. You could simply wire a relay to ground out the GP solenoid and another to activate the dogehead relay. Push one remote button to warm up the GP's manually the. Push another to crank the engine over. Of course a third relay would be needed to power up the IP or activate the ignition circuit. Could be done cheap, should work OK (no fast idle) but would also have no fail safes and could also potentially wreck starters.

Price you pay to not go outside. Not sure why you can't use a block heater instead??? I like my idea though.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newer remote starts have a voltage sensor for the alternator to tell when it is started. I have one on the 93 chevy stick shift gas, wired a switch to the transfer case lever, truck will not start unless transfer is in neutral.

I also had one a 79 gas ford. When the starter engaged, a door lock actuator pulled the carburetor linkage, which would set the choke, and give it a little gas to start. Worked 90% of the time.

Skinny

I'm not sure why someone would go through all the trouble when you can just plug the thing into a timer and have it warm up an hour or two before you depart. Go outside, unplug, start up, drive off. No fancy remotes to deal with and it protects the engine on cold start instead of letting it warm up on it's own. Just my two cents.

biggestc69

I wouldnt trade my tank heater for the world. Works great and saves my batteries to, I use Jatonka's winter front and pull right up to the garage door and if I open the hood after the tank heaters been on you can feel the heat under the hood. Of course according to the instructions your not supposed to run the heater and engine at the same time. So if you were to figure out a way to auto start the engine you need to have the heater on a timer and make sure its not running when you go to start the engine. And I thought that the high idle was more of a timing advance for easier cold starting. I know how it pushes the rod down and everything but your only bringing the engine up a couple hundred RPM's. Mine once it starts is started. I dont think holding it down and keeping the rpm's up a couple hundred more really does that much.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really. I kind of explained it in an earlier post. Used the ouput for the starter, from the remote start box, to a door lock actuator, that was connected to the throttle. When the starter was engage from the remote start, it would pull the linkage for the throttle. I think the actuator was from a 90's GM door lock.