• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

auto trailer

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RentalMax and Sunbelt both carry them.

What vehicle are you attempting to transport?

I moved my HMMWV about 200 miles on a Uhaul Trailer when I bought it.
There is a big debate about just how badly screwed you will be if you're involved in an accident with a HMMWV on a uhaul trailer due to things like it's oversized for the trailer, heavier than they rate the trailer for, and that you have to lie in order to rent the trailer.

(and yes, the M998 is supposedly 5200 lbs dry, and not overweight, but the A2 trucks start around 5900 lbs and go up from there with addition of things like the RedDot aircon and whatnot)

It's not a bad idea to see if there are options around that don't do all of the above things.

ohiohmmwv

RentalMax and Sunbelt both carry them.

What vehicle are you attempting to transport?

I moved my HMMWV about 200 miles on a Uhaul Trailer when I bought it.
How did you find it-did it work well? I checked the specs out and my hitch (stock F150) is only rated at 5000lbs unless I have weight distributed setup. And sounds like uhaul doesn’t allow the WDH on their trailers.

SmartDrug

I moved a M1123 (A2 truck), no top, doors, troop seats, A/C, etc. totally stripped down/empty with a 2014 RAM 1500 Quadcab 5.7 4x4. It was very tight on the trailer - absolutely no room front/back or side/side, totally maxed out, but it drove fine, didn't move an inch during transport. I can see the risk of having an overloaded trailer and the potential legal headache, but there's risk in everything and I'm well insured. I figured for the distance I needed to go, I was comfortable with some risk. I couldn't verify that other places had trailers in stock for when I needed it, nor could they verify weights/widths/etc. I knew that people had moved HMMWVs on the UHaul Aluminum trailers, so the known solution made more sense than the roll of the dice with the others.

FWIW, I told UHaul that I was transporting a 2005 F-150 when they asked why I needed the trailer during the reservation.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Anyone know of any places that rent out trailers for moving vehicles - other than uhaul?
Here in the city there is an independent trailer company that rents just about any kind of trailer you might want. Car Haulers, Horse Haulers, Race Car Haulers, and Cargo Trailers. These folks build custom trailers and they keep a small fleet to rent.

Chances are that you might find a place like that in your neck of the woods too... Maybe?

ohiohmmwv

Here in the city there is an independent trailer company that rents just about any kind of trailer you might want. Car Haulers, Horse Haulers, Race Car Haulers, and Cargo Trailers. These folks build custom trailers and they keep a small fleet to rent.

Chances are that you might find a place like that in your neck of the woods too... Maybe?
We’ll see. I’m checking things out now.

ohiohmmwv

What I’m actually moving is a Volvo c303. Will be driving about 5.5 hrs on highway. About 5300 lbs. 90” wheel base. So about 40” less wheelbase than hmmwv but about same weight. I figured I should be able to balance on the trailer to get tongue weight ok. Maybe?

SmartDrug

What I’m actually moving is a Volvo c303. Will be driving about 5.5 hrs on highway. About 5300 lbs. 90” wheel base. So about 40” less wheelbase than hmmwv but about same weight. I figured I should be able to balance on the trailer to get tongue weight ok. Maybe?

I am not an expert, nor am I giving you advice, but if I were to be transporting my c303 those distances, I'd have zero problem doing it on that UHaul trailer with proper tiedowns/rigging, assuming I have a decent tow vehicle. Those weights/dimensions aren't exactly gargantuan. My only concern for the HMMWV was the wheelbase being long and the width being massive. 5k lbs is nothing for most modern trucks.

kommando

There is a big debate about just how badly screwed you will be if you're involved in an accident with a HMMWV on a uhaul trailer due to things like it's oversized for the trailer, heavier than they rate the trailer for, and that you have to lie in order to rent the trailer.
I successfully moved my HMMWV with a uhaul trailer and truck from gov panet to my place, a guy at the place was like "the uhaul insurance wont cover the trailer if it's damaged".
Fortunately I had no problems

I told my buddy about how well it went and he decided he wanted to move his HMMWV over to an event, so my buddy got his truck, rented a uhaul trailer and we loaded it up, but he decided to move his truck a bit forward before we tied it down and his HMMWV rolled forward and off the trailer and destroyed the trailer, we had to pull it off and it destroyed the trailer fenders during that process. No damage to the HMMWV though.
He had bought the insurnace, and just dropped it off at the rental location destroyed and everything. He didn't have to pay a dime for it since he bought the insurance.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your vehicle is a rolling chassis, why not just place a “redibrake “ system and an “A” arm puller and pull without a platform/trailer. Cheaper, 100% legal, safer.

Your rig being moved needs to be titled and registered and insured.

Last edited:

INFChief

Uhaul denied me a trailer because my truck “wasn’t rated” to tow the trailer with what was going on it.

While “BS” I understand why - they’re covering their butts and eliminating liability if someone were to tow with a vehicle not rated for that load and they are involved in an accident.

Gun manufacturers have been sued for what one idiot did with a weapon so you can see how vulnerable any manufacturers or rental place would be by letting someone rent a trailer to haul something out of the towing vehicles rated class.

Sure, don’t be honest with them and get it anyway; but get in a serious accident and you’re up the proverbial creek without so much as a toothpick for a paddle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks