• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Automatic Reverse Lights / Alarm

Hey Fellas!

I've always wondered why the Deuce never had reverse lights. Or a reverse alarm for that matter. I know the obvious answer, in combat a loud alarm and bright lights tends to attract attention. But in the civy world they both have very practical uses.
That's not to say it hasn't been done; we have all had switched back up lights, I have also had people beep at me because I forgot they were on! :oops:
So it got me wondering, why does the deuce not have automatic back up lamps?

Last year when I was swapping transmissions I got to thinking about the funny little rod coming out the back of the trans cover. The little rod was once used for the sprag type transfer case, but now it is practically useless. Or is it?

Now heres my disclaimer; if this has been done before then I am in no way taking credit for it, I am just reporting my observations.

Today I built an automatic reverse light system using the old sprag rod. When the transmissin is shifted into reverse, the sprag rod is pushed towards the rear of the truck. It then activates a switch. This unique switch mounts to the bottom of the cab crossmember just behind the transmission.

The switch has two functions, it can be open when the lever is depressed or open when the lever is not depressed. In my case I used both. It has three knife terminals:
1. Power in
2. Switch pos#1 out
3. Switch pos #2 out

Obviously had to remove the floor panels above the transmission as well as the shifter.
When I mounted it I placed a piece of steel under it to protect it from grease and debris. I can't guarantee that it is waterproof but I guess I will find out.
I then got to work on the dash switches. The switch plate is just some old OD steel I had kicking around, with a little fresh paint it looked great.
I wanted to be able to select between AUTO (automatically on when placed in reverse) OFF (off at all times even in reverse) and ON (on at all times except in reverse, for use as a utility or work light). I also added a switch for a back up alarm wich has two positions AUTO and OFF. I placed an indicator light in the center to alert you if they have been left on by accedent (It is very bright).

Bought a cheapy dymo label maker to match the ones already on my dash.

The best part is that I wired the switch into the service drive switch so it is nearly impossible to leave them on accidentally or to turn them on in blackout drive.

Let me know what you think, or if anyone else has done a simmilar mod.

Here are some pics, I included the wiring diagram.
-GM

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......Now heres my disclaimer; if this has been done before then I am in no way taking credit for it, I am just reporting my observations.

Today I built an automatic reverse light system using the old sprag rod.........
Another (nice!) way to skin a cat... and off course you can always take credit for having the initiative at least and creating AND sharing your own solution...

Now, our SEARCH FUNCTION must really be a fearsome tool to use...?? :???::)
Hey, it does NOT hurt at all...! Simply put in "backup light switch" in this forum and you'll find this thread, among others, all on one page...

G.

crazywelder72

I did a nice (inexpensive) camera system i pieced together. The great thing about it is It's on all the time when i am driving and it makes a AWESOME rear-view mirror. It truly makes driving the truck so much more relaxing knowing what is right behind you.

I made this video for someone else. It's just a walk-a-round of my truck but you can see the camera and monitor if you want to take a look. (P.S. dont mind the profanity, I swear a lot and dont care)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8mhQFm_yVM&list=UUC53mLybGdn8ao_13fgQZZw&index=1&feature=plcp[/media]

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M35A3 has reverse lights...but still no alarm. The only trucks, to my knowledge, that have the reverse alarm is the M915 series of trucks. I have limited knowledge of the latest HEMTTs, MTVRs, FMTVs, etc.. They may have it. I mainly was referring to the types of trucks that collectors own.

Another (nice!) way to skin a cat... and off course you can always take credit for having the initiative at least and creating AND sharing your own solution...

Now, our SEARCH FUNCTION must really be a fearsome tool to use...?? :???::)
Hey, it does NOT hurt at all...! Simply put in "backup light switch" in this forum and you'll find this thread, among others, all on one page...

G.
I searched about 15 different combinations of words and that thread never came up, must have been because I typed in 'back up' instead of 'backup'.

Job cost was about $40 bucks including new lights. The switch is unique to my job in the car wash industry but I am sure suitable switches can be found just about anywhere.
I decided to buy new lights today, it's just a cheap pair of off road lights but I liked the look with the stone guards and the covers if you are aiming for the 'anti reflective' look. I am going to paint them along with the rest of the truck in the next couple months.
Just wanted to say that this is one of the most practical and useful mods I have ever done. I had a lot of fun doing this and the benefits are definitely worth it. You don't have to go out and break the bank on this one, it is cheap and easy.
-GM

Attachments

Updating an oldie but a goodie, finally got a backup alarm installed. For two years the alarm switch has had no function but today I finished this job. The alarm is a universal 112db unit that I found on that popular auction site. Installation went very smooth and it is very loud! (traditional beep-beep-beep)
Also I'm on my second switch, next will be the switch from the thread above that attaches directly to the trans.

Updated pics.

Attachments

Another Ahab

I searched about 15 different combinations of words and that thread never came up, must have been because I typed in 'back up' instead of 'backup'.

/QUOTE]

You're not the first to get frustrated by a search engine. It's not you. It's just that IT isn't always all that's it's cracked up to be.

Still pretty amazing, but not all the time the miracle solution it's touted up to be.

Like your approach. Very creative.

Unless he is using 12v lights then putting them in series will alow him to use 12v lights on the 24v system.
Yes the lights are 12 volt wired in series for half of the truck's voltage, the bulbs are very common and cheap so I decided to just go that route instead of the 24 volt. If I lose a bulb all I need to do is find out which one is bad.

dmetalmiki

nice job. I have reversing lights and warning buzzers (switched on or off by dash switches) on all my trucks as an additional show parade or rally safety feature.)

rustystud

Yes the lights are 12 volt wired in series for half of the truck's voltage, the bulbs are very common and cheap so I decided to just go that route instead of the 24 volt. If I lose a bulb all I need to do is find out which one is bad.
Honestly I didn't even think about that. Makes sense . I'm just used to working on 24V systems. There is a place that sells 12V and 24V bulbs really cheap on the internet. I bought a boatload of bulbs from them, good quality, good prices. I'll try and find the name. It's around here somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks