• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Automatic Tank Drain

joshs1ofakindxj

I thought I saw someone post a link to an air tank drain valve that automatically dumps water when it fills. No manual work. I think it was around $50. Was I dreaming or do I just suck that bad at searching?

joshs1ofakindxj

I think DieselBob is on it.

man2112, I was looking at that and read some reviews and write-ups and it seems like it needs a lot of tweaking and BS.

joshs1ofakindxj

Does anyone have any review of these? Do they work well? Can I connect the drain lines of the tanks with a cross-over pipe to just one automatic valve to save on cost?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to really save on cost, lay under your truck and drain them manually. And while your down there, do a visual inspection of everything possible.

Do not connect your tank drains together.

DAS

Had use of one back in the 70's......they work good in the nice weather but freeze in the winter and let air out if you dont put a flame by it.....took it off the truck it came on.....we always open drain valve at end of days work,closed it in the morning....DAS

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tanks fill in a particular way so that the moisture is mostly contained in one tank(wet tank), then your system draws from the dry tank, to protect your system components.

If you interconnected them at the bottom, you'll defeat this systems well proven design.

Get some cable operated drains, if bending over is a problem. You still should look under your truck often, for situational awareness. ie, hows your Parking brake shoe condition and are all 3 springs there. Like how many leaks do you have, and where. Like is there oil or BFS leaking on the inside front duels, or is your PTO leaking ect...

It hurts me to bend or kneel, and I'd still rather get a tarp or creeper, and lay under my truck, to drain my tanks, and inspect things daily. Some days I simply lean down and crack the valves. I also add a 2-3" long 1/4 bolt, to all my valve handles, to make it easier to operate.

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

Thanks for the explanation. I will go with the chain operated I think.

Bending over isn't much of a problem for me but I plan on driving this truck fairly often once I do a few more modifications. I won't always be dressed properly to be crawling under the truck, which I do enjoy doing to study things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks