• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Automatic with no reverse??

gaducker

I have found a 5 ton in LA, Its an auto but the owner says reverse is out. Anyone know whats involved with getting a trans repaired? Is this something a regular ole trans shop could work on? Or is this something I could repair on my own? its an 85 model if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing a few grand and a Allison dealer can't fix. A regular trans shop won't fix it , any major repairs your going to do it yourself or a heavy truck shop.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you could do what I did through my senior year in high school ('68 Pontiac Le Mans with no reverse). Just don't park where you have to back up :)

KaiserM109

I recently lost low gear in my 923A1. An overhaul is horribly expensive. I bought a pull-out from 91W350, Glen, in Salina, KS. I hope that after next weekend it will be installed. Glen scraps trucks occationally, so you might PM him and see if he can help you, OR search this web site for someone a little closer who is parting out a truck. If you do your own work, remember the transmission weighs 400 lb.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If reverse is truly gone, (internal issues and not externally caused) most likely 4 gear is out too. Takes 4th to make reverse. Their big and heavy but with manual and tools they can be rebuilt. Good folks at ATS Transmissions, Ft. Worth Tx,
probably have everything you need, reasonable priced. I'm just about the crack open and fix a AT 1545 Allison out of my A3, then a take out replacement will be easy to just swap, hopefully it lasts. Double check all the vent lines to the trans, plugged vents kill more Allisons.
JC

sc3

I have read on this forum that there is some type of reverse lockout that when the transfer case is in low the transmission won't go to reverse. I don't know where it is on the truck and or how it works (I've been searching but can't find explanation). I think it was a mwo that not all trucks received, maybe someone will chime in to explain how to figure out if your truck has lockout or not.

gaducker

Anyone got a pic of this reverse lockout?

This things only got 13k on it, Could reverse be worn out that quick? ANd they said it goes down the road so I assume all the other gears work.

gaducker

Anyone got a pic of this reverse lockout?

This things only got 13k on it, Could reverse be worn out that quick? ANd they said it goes down the road so I assume all the other gears work.
I found out its an 1983, Are the trans interchangeable between a lot of years?

gaducker

I recently lost low gear in my 923A1. An overhaul is horribly expensive. I bought a pull-out from 91W350, Glen, in Salina, KS. I hope that after next weekend it will be installed. Glen scraps trucks occationally, so you might PM him and see if he can help you, OR search this web site for someone a little closer who is parting out a truck. If you do your own work, remember the transmission weighs 400 lb.

I have searched all last night and this morning and have not found for certain a similar prob with a positive out come as far as a repair is concerned. These trans are divorced so getting them out should not be a big problem with it on the lift and with a trans jack. At least I don't think they should be that difficult to get out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks