• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux fuel tank and setup

grywitt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These really are a good design. I got this tank and obviously a Gen or two. I am trying to figure out the best configuration so I have this tank and gen together on a trailer or possibly two trailers but I like the idea of pulling up setting the trailer and having power for days. I like that it keeps the tank close to full so if you need to separate them the gen is ready to go with a mostly full tank too. This is the first time I've tried this and it worked great. I was giving the gen some exercise as well as breaking. Mostly I'm just sharing but if any one has any ideas about how to go about what I'm working towards I'd by happy to hear them. Let me know if I can answer any questions also.

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a nice setup! Do you have a LMTV to pull it with? I thought those trailers had some form of air brakes? Not sure. That fuel tank looks like a 200 gallon? I'd hook straps to it or mount it to a metal pallet so you can pop it in the bed of the truck you're going to pull it with. Did you get them to sync and switch which one is the output?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do have air brakes (air over hydraulic), but are disengaged unless air is applied (so opposite of what you would find on an OTR rig that if air pressure fails, the cans lock up). They can be kept in position by the locking hand brakes (and wheel chocks for safety sake).

grywitt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a nice setup! Do you have a LMTV to pull it with? I thought those trailers had some form of air brakes? Not sure. That fuel tank looks like a 200 gallon? I'd hook straps to it or mount it to a metal pallet so you can pop it in the bed of the truck you're going to pull it with. Did you get them to sync and switch which one is the output?
Light in the Dark is completely correct about the brakes. I don't have an LMTV, I towed it with my 1 ton. I was concerned about that exact thing when I was going to tow it back from Pennsylvania. My other concern was not having brakes on a trailer I was towing but it actually towed quite nicely and I didn't find braking to be a problem. I did keep the exhaust brake on though for good measure. I've thought about modifying or swapping brake systems on this trailer if I were to decide to keep using it. I like the Idea of the pallet and putting it in the bed except leaving it with the gen would be a problem unless a piece of equipment was around to unload. I realized I didn't take enough pictures to show what all I had to work with. I like the power plant trailer and being able to transfer loads without dropping power but it's really not necessary. Having a spare is good though. Yes I did get them to sync and transfer load with about 8kw of load just to verify function. Gen 1 ( Front Gen ) is the one being loaded in this scenario. One of the 803s I have is on a trailer with kind of a long tongue triangle I was thinking maybe the tank might fit there okay and still give access to the Gen for maintenance. The tank is 155 gallon you were pretty close. I even thought of building a rack and mounting the tank above the two Gens. ( that one is pretty far down on the list though) I'll take more Pics so people can see what all I've got to work with.

grywitt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the load bank display was pretty in sync with the frequency of the camera and showed nothing.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes sense to need something to off load the tank out of the truck when you get there. Possibly a winch mounted in the bed and a ramp? ...a long ramp with those loading rollers that package systems use? Tank full shouldn't weigh much more than a thousand. Could make a tank mount similar to what the generators have...not much to those. Glad both work! They are great ones. I have never dealt with the dual setup but always look at them. So I didn't know those trailers were run aways! I have passed up many of them because of that. I wonder if the air could be replaced with a surge brake type mount. Doesn't sound like you need them if you pulled that from Chambersburg to new mexico!! That's a haul.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do have air brakes (air over hydraulic), but are disengaged unless air is applied (so opposite of what you would find on an OTR rig that if air pressure fails, the cans lock up). They can be kept in position by the locking hand brakes (and wheel chocks for safety sake).
Didn't know that!! Next time.

grywitt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes sense to need something to off load the tank out of the truck when you get there. Possibly a winch mounted in the bed and a ramp? ...a long ramp with those loading rollers that package systems use? Tank full shouldn't weigh much more than a thousand. Could make a tank mount similar to what the generators have...not much to those. Glad both work! They are great ones. I have never dealt with the dual setup but always look at them. So I didn't know those trailers were run aways! I have passed up many of them because of that. Doesn't sound like you need them if you pulled that from Chambersburg to new mexico!! That's a haul.
I wonder if the air could be replaced with a surge brake type mount.

I have been wondering the same thing. Since they are hydraulic actuated pads you would think it could work. I'll take some pictures of the brake system so you can see it also. I'm really happy to have picked up this power plant. Some things about the trip made me second guess going but I'm glad I did. Both of these Gens run and take load quite well and even the sync box works. Even though like I said I'm not doing anything critical enough to need uninterrupted power but I like it anyway. Haha . I've thought about separating the set but I don't think I'm going to. Having the tank and Gen separate do mean I could take the tank to refill it without shutting down or disconnecting power.
Right after I purchased that power plant I was in a scramble trying to make sure I might have anything I might need to cage air brakes so I could tow it. ( I had noticed the air lines ). Then I down loaded the TM and asked questions on here and found out how they function. It makes sense though if the military needs to move quickly a broken air line or no pressure shouldn't keep you from grabbing the equipment and rolling.

Toolslinger

You may well run in to a headache if you put that tank on a trailer... You're going to have a significant amount of change in tongue weight between full and empty, unless it's centered. You also have the delightfull result of fluid sloshing if it isn't full or empty. You'd be at 1100# of fuel full. End up at half tank and 550# of slosh on a trailer could make things interesting at times, particularly if you manage to mount it overhead somehow.

grywitt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may well run in to a headache if you put that tank on a trailer... You're going to have a significant amount of change in tongue weight between full and empty, unless it's centered. You also have the delightfull result of fluid sloshing if it isn't full or empty. You'd be at 1100# of fuel full. End up at half tank and 550# of slosh on a trailer could make things interesting at times, particularly if you manage to mount it overhead somehow.
Thats a good point. These military trailers are very overbuilt though. The tank has baffles but it doesn't eliminate it. Thats why I'm bringing it up on here so I get lots of angles. If I mounted it above the Gens it would change and wiggle my center of gravity quite a bit. That trailer though have you looked at the springs and frame on it? It's crazy stout. I work with some engineers maybe they can do some math for me. I have concidered putting it on one of my other trailers up front with the tank side to side lengthwise then maybe scoot the Gen back a little to lift some of the weight.

grywitt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am really surprised and impressed with the way these military trailers carry loads. I stuck about 1300LBS in one of the M1101 trailers and it was a pretty tall load. I was expecting it to squat some and prepared for it to be kind of squirrely. It was rock solid and stable as could be. I've similarly impresssed every time I've towed these trailers. ( which funny enough was none a year ago and now quite a few)

grywitt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I need a smaller tank or at least a was to know I'm not over the 119. Then I will be sloshing more.

2Pbfeet

Thats a good point. These military trailers are very overbuilt though. The tank has baffles but it doesn't eliminate it. Thats why I'm bringing it up on here so I get lots of angles. If I mounted it above the Gens it would change and wiggle my center of gravity quite a bit. That trailer though have you looked at the springs and frame on it? It's crazy stout. I work with some engineers maybe they can do some math for me. I have concidered putting it on one of my other trailers up front with the tank side to side lengthwise then maybe scoot the Gen back a little to lift some of the weight.
Nice score on the trailer! Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.

Personally, I would be careful of putting that much weight up high. I've seen too many tow vehicles rolled because of a high loaded trailer that tipped, and not by a lot of weight. 2-300 extra pounds eight feet up, and that's with low clearance suspensions.

To @FarmingSmallKubota's excellent point about tank size, yes if it is the vehicle original tank, larger tanks are permitted, but I do not know what is permitted these days for aftermarket modifications to enlarge fuel tanks.

All the best,

2PbFeet

grywitt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I said I would get more pictures of the brake system on that trailer. It really does seem like it wouldn't be that hard to modify it to work without air and mostly with still using the parts that are there. That link I posted was just for an example of something that might work not necessarily that exact one. Does anyone see a problem with that line? Heck the hydraulic system is already on the trailer. I have thought about taking one of the Gens of the trailer and mounting the tank. Even though I don't want to separate them.

Attachments

grywitt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have a couple other trailers. And I've thought about mounting the tank on the front sideways in front of the gen also. Heck I've got an M1101 cargo trailer I could use to haul the tank around with too. Lol I can't make up my mind. I do see it would be possible to mount the tank above the two gens sideways right between them and honestly with the weight of the trailer and two gens below it I bet it wouldn't be all that top heavy but I'm 98% that's not the direction I want to go.

Attachments

Ray70

I've used that exact brand of electric brake conversion on a trailer mounted MEP-005A with the air over hydraulic brake system, it couldn't have been easier to install!
Fit it up on the back of the front cross member. it simply ties right into the existing hydraulic line coming off the original cylinder.
You don't need the 1600 psi kit, the 1000 psi kit is actually plenty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks