• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux Fuel Tank

DieselIron

40 gallons of diesel fuel would weigh around 275-280 lbs. depending on temperature.
Add in the weight of the tank and mounting hardware you are well over 300+ pounds.
That might be a bit too much weight on top is my thought, but I am not the expert on what it can safely hold.

Also what is your plan on removing the top cover when it's time to service something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a cart picked out at Northern tool that has a flat top and will hold 500 pounds. That was my first choice. That option allows me to siphon out my truck if I run into a pinch and also to off load fuel into my truck to cycle it out. This is why I like this forum I had my concerns just wanted to hear from some others.

It appears that I've got a little more room than you do, but this is what my aux tank looks like....very similar to what we're discussing with mounting your tank on a moving dolly:
Do you have any issues with the tank being at ground level and pumping into your day tank? How long is you hose? I would like to put a water separator in-line. Do you think the on board fuel pump will pump through the filter? Mine would be higher than the day tank and would be a bottom pick up tube in the tank. Thanks

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One potential issue with mounting a fuel tank higher than the day tank is the chance it could gravity siphon fuel into the day tank even after the unit is shut down. You would lose all the fuel in the aux tank onto the ground and into the housing of the generator.

One potential issue with mounting a fuel tank higher than the day tank is the chance it could gravity siphon fuel into the day tank even after the unit is shut down. You would lose all the fuel in the aux tank onto the ground and into the housing of the generator.
So you would think a low boy dolly would be a better choice?

Zed254

Do you have any issues with the tank being at ground level and pumping into your day tank? How long is you hose? I would like to put a water separator in-line. Do you think the on board fuel pump will pump through the filter? Mine would be higher than the day tank and would be a bottom pick up tube in the tank. Thanks
No issues. Works well for me through the ~25ft fuel lines that come with some generators and the ones I've fabricated. I have another tank that I've installed a water separator on and the pump has no problem with it. It is better to remove fuel from your tank through a dip tube that enters tank from the top. The small space between the end of the dip tube and the bottom of the tank will prevent pick up of most of the debris / rust / dirt from the bottom of tank. If by bottom pick up tube you mean a simple drain you can get a lot of debris plugging up your fuel filters.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks