• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux light wiring question

llong66

Hello all! I recently bought a set of the IR aux lights for my 85 M1008 (NSN 6220-00-984-5180). I also have the clear lenses I plan on installing for use most of the time.I am wanting to wire them so I have both the bright/dim function of the lights. From what I can find on the bulb, they are 55 and 110 watts.
My question is would wiring these be as simple as a DPDT switch, through relays as I want to stay 24v, the up position being dim, the low position
being bright? Would it be that simple? Also, to get the bright feature, would the bright position on the switch need to feed power to BOTH power lugs
on the lamp at the same time or is it one or the other?
Thanks for your help,,

Greg

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One terminal is for the high beam, the other for the low beam. The light grounds through the mounting stud.
I would use relays just to keep the current from running through the switch. A DPDT or a SPDT would work.
Those lamps get hot so I wouldn't have both high and low on at the same time.

Ray70

If you really want to get fancy, wire it up with a SPDT feeding the 2 relays for high and low beam, then install another SPST or momentary switch connecting (and disconnecting ) the 2 trigger wires going from the SPDT to the relays, that way you can have High, Low and Momentary "Both" if you want an extra little burst of light without overheating!

RedBlok

I have a couple sets of those lights. Mine did not come with the clear glass lenses. I found a seller on E@#y who sold me a set of clear glass lenses. I mentioned about the lights running hot. He said that the Grote Trillant Par 36 LED lights will fit that housing, run a lot cooler, draw way less power, have a longer life and will be brighter.

I have not tried it yet myself as I only learned about it last week.

RedBlok

I was thinking about running one set with the IR lenses thru the Blackout drive and rigging up a separate switch for them. ****- I need to buy NGVs if I do that.

:)