• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Avoid mixed fuel fines....

Monroe V.F.D. 514

first off im this is for educational purposes only... and i dont know if this breaks any laws and i dont support breaking any laws. but for all the people that are getting the tanks dipped just because they have a black color to them from mixing WMO y not just install a secondary tank with a regulated pump and pump the wmo into a small mixing tank before it is sent to the engine it would b some work and possible illegal in most if not all states but would keep you from getting tickets just for having your tank dipped for off road diesel. just an idea.

again im not telling u to break the law. just an idea to always have a clean fuel tank.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It is against the law to used untaxed off-road fuel on public roads.

It is not against the law to use "additives" in taxed on road fuel.

These additives can include WMO, WVO, transmission fluid etc in any ratio.

If I buy 100 gallons of on road fuel I have paid my fuel tax...even if I double the amount of fuel by adding something to it that
is good for the engine. They are taxing the amount of fuel you buy....not the number of miles you are driving.

That is my opinion and I'll defend it in court if necessary.

papercu

It is not against the law to use "additives" in taxed on road fuel.
Seems as if The Great State of Alabama disagrees with you. Wayne
"Alabama Department of Revenue (ADOR), The Alabama Department of Revenue is responsible for administering Alabama’s fuel tax laws and collecting state fuel excise taxes. Alternative fuels such as E85 and biodiesel are considered taxable gasoline and motor fuel products. Any person, before engaging in the business of producing, selling, distributing or withdrawing from storage gasoline or motor fuel in Alabama, must make application to the ADOR to engage in such a business as a licensed distributor. Evidence of a surety bond, based upon the average monthly excise tax liability, must be provided to the ADOR before a license is issued. Licensed distributors are required to file monthly fuel tax returns with the ADOR. This includes any person producing alternative fuel for personal use."

Monroe V.F.D. 514

im not worried about it at all. the only time im in the 5 ton is for fires or parades its an emergency vehicle of the fire department odds are they wont check it at all. but for all the other states and people that dont want to get fined for using additives. its not an additive if its mixed just before its sent to the motor its a "lubricant". and tht would my personal story if i personally owned a 5 ton and did this mod.

hole

What if you only put WMO from "your own vehical" in the trucks fuel tank? Haven't you already paid a state tax on the oil originally?

rlwm211

This discussion smacks of the
"Chicken and the Egg" argument.

No doubt using any substance in your deuce as fuel that has not had the government's share of the cost added to it is a crime if you are on the highway.

As to the percentage I am not sure myself. I prefer to not burn WMO because I do not have the proper filtering equipment to clean it before using it. I do add 2 stroke motor oil and a diesel additive to my fuel to improve the lubricity due to the ULSD blend we ar forced to buy.

It would take a chemist or someone very familiar with the nature of the testing process to offer an explanation as to how far can you go with "additives" and I am sure that the dye in off road diesel has a property in it which is designed to make it linger in a tank, perhaps long after the non-taxed fuel has been burned. Not sure but that would be the way of the revenue department I am sure.

I would ask the LEO's who are members here to maybe give some of their insight on this, unofficially of course....

RL

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is against the law to used untaxed off-road fuel on public roads.
Not true. I have a Miscellaneous Motor Fuel License which allows me to burn anything flammible (including red died 'off-road' diesel) as long as I report the gallons used on a monthly basis and pay the road tax portion per gallon. Of course, if I pay the taxes on the fuel, it no longer becomes untaxed, so your statment would be true...

If I'm ever pulled over all I have to do is show the license, and it has happened to me once already. Showed the DOT man the license, he said have a nice day.

It was free, and you fill out your own monthly reports. You can even file a monthly report with a "No activity subject to a fee" if you didn't burn anything.

16.75 cents per gallon for SC state tax and 24.4 cents per gallon federal is cheap insurance in my books.

What if you only put WMO from "your own vehical" in the trucks fuel tank? Haven't you already paid a state tax on the oil originally?
Yes, but you paid a sales tax, that goes to a different pot of money. They want your road tax too. Plus, it is no longer used for what it was sold as. It is now fuel.

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Its illegal in NC also to run red off road diesel on the road. Ask 2 of my friends with there M35's. They were fined by NCHP for there M35's and any diesel vehicles they owned at home as part of the fine. They got his CUCV also.

AND LETS ALL UNDERSTAND THAT STATE LAWS ARE DIFF. PLEASE DONT MAKE A CASE ABOUT YOU BEING FROM MAINE AND KNOW THE LAWS OF ALASKA. Please , its like all the CDL threads.

Last edited:

Kohburn

my understanding is that a mixers liscence is free and you just have to log your fuel usage and pay a menial tax on it. while that may be annoying it's a **** of a lot better than the fines.

my only problem is that I've searched and searched and i can not for the life of me find out where to apply to get one in maryland.

Chief_919

Its illegal in NC also to run red off road diesel on the road. Ask 2 of my friends with there M35's. They were fined by NCHP for there M35's and any diesel vehicles they owned at home as part of the fine. They got his CUCV also.

AND LETS ALL UNDERSTAND THAT STATE LAWS ARE DIFF. PLEASE DONT MAKE A CASE ABOUT YOU BEING FROM MAINE AND KNOW THE LAWS OF ALASKA. Please , its like all the CDL threads.
Yup.

NC Motor Carrier Enforcement will dip your tanks if you run around here long enough. They love to show up at places like livestock auctions, equipment auctions, etc where lots of diesel trucks may gather and walk the lot dipping tanks.

I had my pickup dipped once. I was filling 10 jerrycans with off road fuel for use in generators, and the officer saw me at the pump and came up and dipped my tank.

Kohburn

Kohburn,
I don't know about MD, but SC is the Department of revenue. You could try there in MD if they have such a thing.
thanks for the tip . I was able to find the contact information through the depeartment of revenue for the group incharge of motor vehicle and fuel taxes.

sent of an inquiry to them, hopefully i can get an answer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This would be my argument:

I buy 100 gallons of taxed on road fuel......I then add 100 gallons of VWO to "extend" fuel milage.

I have paid the tax on my fuel.

If there were a mechanical device the doubled fuel milage they could not double the tax on your fuel or charge you with evading fuel tax....as I stated before...we pay tax on the fuel we use....not the milage we drive.

I am sure the gooberment would disagree since this cost them tax money but unless they can detect WVO, WMO or other fuel extenders (without dye in them) they can't charge you.

I do not make fuel (such as bio diesel).....I just extend the range of the fuel I buy.

WPNS421

Well here is my 2 cents worth. is it really worth all the hassel and trouble to use WMO etc. I know diesel is $3.00 + @ gal.
But if you figure your time to collect, clean and store the product plus all the potential troubles with dipping/fines, is it worth it?
It is great as an emergency backup system. How many gallons do you use and how many miles per year do you do with your vehicles? I run 6 MVs and pay over $4 @ gallon and still can't justify the effort. This is my opinion

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks