• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Awesome Ft. Knox Recovery

hilber

1054 REO M35A2 wo/w whistler turbo

First off Thanks to Justin at Ft. Knox I called him Wednesday and he made an appointment for me early Friday. Also there was a low boy there to pick up a deuce and carry to San Antonia TX.

Well they crank her and pull her up and say: Oh by the weay ther are no brakes." I am going oh crap. He says the emergency works great. I say OK. I'll go try it out. It does and I haul arse off base very slowly. Get to Advance auto part and buy some DOT 5 brake fluid(left mine at home) and one man bleeder kit. Master is dry as a bone. I fill er up. Bleed the right rear. left rear, then the right front tandem, left front tandem, right front drive tire and left front drive tire. GREAT BRAKES NOW. I AM ACTUALLY SHCOKED AT HOW GOOD THEY ARE. THEY WILL LOCK THE TIRES DOWN. So i swap in batteris I carried out of my CUCV M1009. Hit the start button and she fires right up. Lights work, blinkers work, alt is charging. air buzzer works and goes silent when air pressure is built up. Oil pressure works, fuel gauge. Water tempo gauge is off and on, but it appeas to be not overheating. as i have already checked the water and antifreeze. Let her run a few, switch off, wiat aminute an dchek the oil. Needs 4 quarts. Back to advance and get a gallon, pour her in. Start her up. run 5 minutes or so, switch her off and check oil. Right on the line. I have already driven afew miles around, but drive afew more to chek everything out, slow and easy of course. Its now 1:00 Pm adn wife and I re hugnry. Go to KFC, eat and coem back. Leave at 2:30 Eastern tiem and plan to drive to Nashville or maybe Chatanooga. Get to Nashvilel and traffic is awful. Takes 1 hr to get through Nashville. Then I am on the road again. Stopping every hr to wee wee., get coffee and check wheels, tires, any leaks etc. Man I am feeling good. Wife feels goo. I say lets go home and she is good to go. We hit the road after our 10 minute break and pti stoop and go toRinggold GA, stop at Wendy's and eat. Hit the road again. Stop one more time and are in Homer at 1:30 AM. 448 miles on Deuce. 458 by GPS. 44 gallons (21 on first stop at 210 miles and 23 in Commerce yesterday afternoon as I drove down to O'reillys to get wiper blades.)of fuel later and we are happy to be home. I made one little boo boo that I will explain later as it needs it own topic.

Attachments

RealCavDog

OOPS ! Looks like I am already subscribed to your other thread !

Why the new one ? Makes it a bit hard to follow, but that sure is a great looking truck ! Great pictures !

hilber

OOPS ! Looks like I am already subscribed to your other thread !

Why the new one ? Makes it a bit hard to follow, but that sure is a great looking truck ! Great pictures !
The other one was about needing helpand this one about getting it home and I figured most people not in area would not be looking at it.
Thanskf or the complimetn on the truck. It does need a paint job, but in due time it will get it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Glad you got home, nice truck. Just hate the convenient timing of them saying "the brakes don't work". Almost seems like they would call you and try to tell you that after I drive off in it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was late in getting the PM and didn't have a feasible way of getting it from one truck to the other so I didn't call. It would have taken you out of the way and with a new truck, you don't need to be out getting my junk. I'll work it out, have nothing but time here. It's great that your truck recovery went so smooth.

plym49

Nicely recovered, good field expedient repairs, congratulations on a safe trip home. Curious - how fast were you running to get that 10 mpg?

hilber

I stayed between 53 and 55. It was really smooth at that speed and still had power left. I filled up before I left. 125.00 worth as it was basically empty. I was concerned I would make it to the station. Then bought the 21 and filled it Saturday afternoon after getting a good 10 hrs sleep, I ran down to Racetrack and filled it up and it took the 23 gallons. Each time I tried to get it to the fill line. I went out today and put some Sea Foam conditioner in the tank it it is right on the fill line as best I can tell.

I put a 12 volt battery in the passenger floorboard to run my GPS and phone charger. I had the GPS on the windshield so I could see it. As you know the dash lights are not real good so I used it for my speedometer. I also had a flashlight that I used to keep check on my gauges.

tah081

just curious if you asked what did it cost to have it shipped to san antonio from there… being that i live here and i was also looking at a lot of trucks from fort knox and it would help me get an exact idea of what it would cost to buy a truck and have it shipped here
thanks, Kyle

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks