• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axel boot question

Hooty481

the axel boot on my drivers side is tore and leaking a little bit. I have read somewhere that it is just a dust boot but not sure. Does this need to be replaced before i use my truck anymore or will it be alrite for a while? It just a small tear at the bottom.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is more than just a dust boot. It holds all the grease in the knuckle.

You will have to order the boot and schedule a time to replace it.

It should be okay to drive for a little while.

Hooty481

i think it s just grease thats leaking out... what is the best boot to go with... should i replace them both since i am gonna replace one. the other looks ok for now but who knows...

Seth_O

I just redid mine on the passenger side. I ordered 2 (solid style,) replaced the leaking one and put the other new boot in the parts box for when the d-side goes bad.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i think it s just grease thats leaking out... what is the best boot to go with... should i replace them both since i am gonna replace one. the other looks ok for now but who knows...
Replacing both depends on what you do with the truck.

SHIELDS UP..................

Drive it all the time then replace both.

Drive in a parade every once in awhile, do one now and have a spare boot for when/if it does rip.

The zipper boot is easiest to put on, but the solid boot make you take the knuckle apart, check the componets and then put it back together.

Most of the members will recommend the first time to take it all apart, so you will know the condition and then when it rips again just do a zipper repair.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The silicone one-piece boots will normally outlast all the others.

deathrowdave

I have replaced with zippered 2x !!! From diffrent suppliers JUNK!!!! I found 2 NOS US Government zipper boots will give them a try. My suggestion would be one piece .

Gunfreak25

Hmmm, does anyone know if the zipper boots can be used on m211's and M135's? These trucks already have a set of seals to keep the grease in but water can still get in there. If so, i'd like to put some on mine.

Pooch1128

Just replaced the passenger side one on one of are wood trucks. Put new zippered style on. Jacked vehicle up, removed tire for easier access, removed outer retainer ring unzipped boot, removed inner retainer ring. Need two people (four hands) to put back on. Inner retainer ring was easy. The outer ring was the problem, trying to keep boot and ring from slipping off while tighting ring. Then 2 hours to clean all grease off of all tools.....

oilburner

I have used the zipper boots way easer to install than pulling down the hub, spindle, and knuckle some of the zipper boots are thin and seam to sun/dry rot in no time at all.(china junk) I use a smear of silocone sealer on the zipper to help keep some water out. I used some no zipper ones that were made of polyurethane one time the lasted for ever but never found any more. If any one knows where to find the poly ones I would like to know.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I cannot seem to find the link to the post that showed a complete teardown of the hubs and knuckles, it also showed the installation of a non zipper boot.

Torres70380

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks