• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axel leak driving me crazy

Amxhunter

Left side , middle axle ( I think)

I have been into this thing 3 times now and still can't figure out where the problem is.

The inside wheel on the middle axle is wet on the side facing the road. It's slinging "stuff" all over the outside wheel, under the bed, the tailgate, yada yada,

I corked up the axle a year ago as it's not being used.

Just finished replacing the inner grease seal, which when I took off the old one it looked like it was new.

I just can't seem to pinpoint where this stuff is coming from.

It's "splattered" in specs on the outer wheel, sideboard and tail gate and has a real thin consistency and has a wet look. However given the day to sit it almost disappears.

The rear axle inside wheel is slightly wet also on both sides.

Now I'm asking about if the rear is leaking making it look like the middle is having the problem ????

Amxhunter

Brake cylinder is clean and fluid level is staying up.

As far as i can tell it's not GL90 , there's no Dope smell .

When I do the touch test , it's oily naturally but smelling it doesn't have that dope smell, been there done that.

That leaves grease.

When i did this last seal replacement I changed over to a better (red synthetic) grease, however I left the old moly grease in the hub.

This has been going on about 2 weeks now , i guess I need to check the differential fluid levels just to be sure.

Amxhunter

Finally figured it out.

How about Bad Radiator cap !

It was blowing coolant all the way down the left side , coating the wheels and blasting the tail gate.

It was driving me crazy because when I got to work the wheels would be wet. Then time to go home they were dry.

Did a little experiment this weekend and the problem showed up. Naturally I had been filling the radiator up to the top.

I had noticed a little coolant dribbling around the front but thought that maybe I had nicked a tube when installing the PS pump.

I let the truck idle this weekend for about 20 to 30 minutes and it showed up. Radiator burped and probably a gallon or more dumped.

Changed radiator caps and refilled just under the neck. Seems to have cured the issue.

stumps

Uhmmm... Oil doesn't dry, it just picks up dirt... and brake fluid takes weeks to dry. Only water dries that quickly.

Glad you got it worked out.

-Chuck