• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Boots: How torn is too torn?

acme66

1984 M923. Both my boots are cracked/torn at 12 o'clock. Doing some research on changing them the few pictures of blown boots I found were in way worse shape than this. I am lacking a frame of reference for how bad is to bad. Is any hole one to many or is it like my old Cj5? I am also toying with the idea of careful cleaning and some RTV black.

So in a realistic sense am I looking at a change it now, watch it closely or an eh it's fine sort of situation?

Boot 1.jpgBoot 2.jpg

Ken

Julian

If you plan to keep the truck, you will change it at some point. The longer you wait, the more abrasives and corrosives will enter making additional work sooner rather than later.

acme66

Well that is that then. I wish there was more consensus on who's boots are worth a darn. I have a weepy axle seal so I guess I will do the one piece and change that while I am in there.

Ken

acme66

I am looking at this kit with silicone, I saw others that came with bushings but nothing seems to indicate a need for that yet. I assume I will need a pair of hub gaskets?

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks