• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle/brake rebuild questions

bombcar

So I have a Deuce.5. I might have caught the brakes on fire, at least that's what the sheriff said what pulled me over and used his fire extinguisher. Tow truck drivers were nice, though.

So now I need to fix the brakes so they don't break - I suspect it's the air cylinder thing.

But the main question - is it easy to rebuild whatever was damaged by the brake burning in the axle, or should I begin searching for replacement axles? What's the best way to drop a Deuce axle as it were? Harbor fright 20 ton jack?

bombcar

I think it's the axle brakes - at least there were flames between each pair of rear tires before they were put out.

The hand brake just brakes at the transfer case, correct?

Captaincarrier

Yes the hand brake is aft of the transfer case and it has a history of getting stuck. I have seen vehicles on the interstate where the rear end caught fire around the wheels/axles.

tobyS

Sounds like your brakes didn't release? I would not replace the axle, I would expect to replace the drums and all the braking components, probably including the pistons, maybe the backer plates too. This might be a time for putting on dual circuit brakes, but fixing the drum/piston area is mandatory. Inspect wheel bearings and clean/lube them (with new seals). It would be a good time for new bearings and seals too.

If the fire was put out soon enough, there is no need to replace the entire axle and perhaps be putting another problem (old axle) into it.

bombcar

I'm pretty sure the airpack stuck and didn't allow the brakes to release (at first slight dragging, then worse). The fire was put out pretty quickly, but to take off the wheels I need to lift the axle - will any old 10 ton jack do, or is there a recommended tool?

tobyS

I'm pretty sure the airpack stuck and didn't allow the brakes to release (at first slight dragging, then worse). The fire was put out pretty quickly, but to take off the wheels I need to lift the axle - will any old 10 ton jack do, or is there a recommended tool?
You should have proper jack stands and or very stable blocking. Ten ton will lift each axle. You might loosen the lug nuts before you lift it up, the're easier when the wheel will not rotate.

Yes, all of it needs to come apart and while you are in there would be a great time to rebuild the entire area, brakes and wheel bearings. There are several threads for the nut and brake removal that a search will bring up.

Do you want a full rebuild that you would be confident with for the life of the rest of the truck's life, or do you just want the minimum fix possible?

bombcar

Last edited:

tobyS

If you have a sawmill or pallet mill around in Wisconsin, there could be some nice wood blocking available, 4x8 and such, if your confident in building a structure that has no possibility of failure.

Heavy jack stands are expensive....go on-line or Napa, Oreilly or maybe McMaster Carr. Is there any chance you want to single it out, rather than duals?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Single it out? Bob it? Or does that mean going to more standard/non military tires?
No, it just means to convert to singles on the rear axles, instead of duals. You can keep the stock tires (I did for a while) but it looks a little odd. They are too small to be run as singles (visually, not technically).

tobyS

How do you plan on using your truck?

The definition of "bobbing" includes shortening the frame and bed. I'm working on making my M35A3 into a 4x4, but not shortening the frame, therefore technically not bobbing....still major changes. And buying 5 tires rather than 7 does come into it.

One of the best combinations I have seen is dual 11.00x20 on the rear and single 365/80r20 or 14.5/20 on the front on A3 wheels. They are the same revolutions per mile. The singles on an A3 could go on the back but the rims are really expensive. Unless yours were toasted, use them.

Making into a 4x4 with dual 11.00 on the rear and the larger floatation 14.5 front would make a nice combination.

Last edited:

bombcar

I plan on using it mainly as a "original" vehicle (WI Hysterical Military Vehicle planes require it be stock) for a few parades now and then, and for "occasional personal use" (read: Menards). As such, I won't be bobbing it, and might consider switching to singles on the rear when it comes time to get new tires.

So far I have a 12 ton jack. Next is to get a bunch of 4x12s or something else to use as jack stands (or even a 12 ton jack stand).

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a pair of 6t jack stands on Amazon for about $30-$40 including shipping - cheaper than HF and better quality. The whole truck weighs just under 7t. While I can make the argument to buy better than HF when it comes to the jack itself, jack stands are pretty basic.

I'm a little leery using wood as you have to stack enough of it that it can become dangerous and as we're potentially talking about your life, I don't think actual jack stands is a bad way to go.

tobyS

No put down of jack stands from me. I have a couple that are chintzy and a couple that are good. Are you going for 4, 2 or only 1? This is a job I would want access to all, thus need 4.

But I have a lot of large blocking and move large machinery....building up 2x4 from HD is not the same. $5 spent at a local sawmill might supply a surplus of big blocking to safely do it.

I had visions of the fire damaging the tires. Apparently you just need a brake rebuild. Still, if it was that hot, the grease in the bearings may have boiled, leaked and been the actual fuel for a fire. Are you planning for new drums or are you going to see if these will turn round and in spec.?

It reminds me to put a fire extinguisher in my 929.

Last edited:

bombcar

Yeah, everyone needs a fire extinguisher, if not two - truck's large.

I'm going to check the drums first - but depending on the price I might do a complete rebuild.

tommys2patrick

empty weight of the deuce is a little over 13000 pounds. it has three axles and the front carry's more than the other two when the truck is empty. but for simplicity sake, 13000 divided by three yields 4333 pounds. roughly 2.2 tons. six ton rated pair of jack stands, worst case rated 3 tons each. then a single jack stand would be more than enough to carry a single axle alone in an empty truck. however, i believe in larger safety margins. for one rear dual wheel( half a rear axle) with roughly 1.1 tons of truck curb weight distributed on it , a single 3 ton rated jack stand should have an adequate safety margin. Personally, I have three pairs of the harbor freight 6 ton rated pairs of jack stands supporting the entire truck at the moment with no problem at all. no creaks, groans or slightest unsteadiness to make me question them. I fired up the engine and ran the drive train at idle speed. I also did not mash down the accelerator or the brake pedal. When done, I killed the engine and let things coast to a stop. wanted to listen for strange sounds and vibrations at each wheel. Probably not recommended as rotational energies with a moving drivetrain can cause the supports to shift around. There goes my safety margin. I also thoroughly inspected each jack stand for welds, flaws, operation etc first.

your results may vary, but this has been my experience.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know if those 6T jack stands are rated per stand or as a pair? I couldn't find clarification.
The jack stand I was referring to are: https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Lift-T-6906D-Double-Jack-Stand/dp/B074R17GL4

which are rated 6t each. When I bought them a few months ago the price was almost $10 cheaper.

I also agree with going a little overboard on ratings. I have 2 6t rated stands from HF and 2 of the above. The above are better quality and have a double lock system, but I grab which ever is closest when I need one. I also have a 20t (Esco) jack that I spent a little extra money on because the first time I used a jack from HF it broke. 20t is way overboard so, unless you need it for other things...

18operator

The jack stands are rated per stand. Just make sure you are using those stands on flat level hard ground. If they are tilted even a few degrees they lose some of their capacity and stability.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks