• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Breather Valves

Armada

Anyone know who carries Rockwell axle vents for the M35? I'm guessing it's a common vent with many applications. A truck stop maybe?

Jones

I'd try a transmission or gear shop that does manual boxes and rear axles. I think you'll find that they're sold by thread size based on the hole they screw into.

sailor2000

OK... so looking at the Army data... if you run into water with hot axles... the rapid cooling causes a pressure drop inside the axle... which sucks water in past the seals... why not just hose / tube the axle vents up to the top of the firewall????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Axle Breather Valves

sailor2000 said:
OK... so looking at the Army data... if you run into water with hot axles... the rapid cooling causes a pressure drop inside the axle... which sucks water in past the seals... why not just hose / tube the axle vents up to the top of the firewall????
Its a one way valve. It allows pressure out not in. This is why it is a poor choice for the top of the deuce master cylinder.

sailor2000

Re: RE: Axle Breather Valves

[quote="Recovry4x4Its a one way valve. It allows pressure out not in. This is why it is a poor choice for the top of the deuce master cylinder.[/quote]

Yes.. I got that... so the water is sucked in past the grease / oil seals when the hot axle hits cold water and creates a vacuum inside the axle housing... ... (there is a PS mag article on this.. but I cannot find it now... of course...) so why not just run the vent up high????? so free breathing and no vacuum to pull in water? How did the DUKW do it?

Armada

Thanks for the leads. I checked all over Saturn maccus, no wonder I couldn't find them on their site.....m151..... :roll:

I may just pop the caps and run hoses high. They failed because of all the crud from the road that gets splashed on them. And plus the fact that they're 36 years old probably didn't help. Front axle vent works fine, and so do the gear boxes. May just replace them all for insurance.

Jones

RE: Re: RE: Axle Breather Valves

Kenny's right on as far as the low vents being one-way goes.
I have to run high vents as I'm using full air brake axles on the baby HEMTT and the air pots need to flow both ways in order for the brakes to apply and release. I've got some pretty good-sized vents and so brakes, axles and transfer-case will be routed through them. One vent block for the front and one for the rear.

ida34

The front vent worked after I got it loose. It was stuck closed before I messed with it. As soon as I twisted it released. Did you have anymore leakage after you modified the vents.

Armada

No more leakage, they did what they were supposed to, so no more pressure buildup. I never did get the rear vents to free up.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I went all the way on this one for the deuce and plumbed all the vents (exept the transmission) so that they can also be pressurized for fording. Needless to say, the xm757 came this way from factory.

sailor2000

Re: RE: Re: RE: Axle Breather Valves

cranetruck said:
I went all the way on this one for the deuce and plumbed all the vents (exept the transmission) so that they can also be pressurized for fording. Needless to say, the xm757 came this way from factory.
What air pressure are you using to pressurize the cases? Are you putting a drier on the air supply?

gene

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Axle Breather Valves

Bjorn, when you plumbed your vents am I right in assuming that you ran a T from the air system with a regulator to step down the pressure to 2 PSI?

Gene

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Correct, there is also a manual valve to switch from venting to the atmosphere when not set up for fording.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Axle Breather Valves

sailor2000 said:
What air pressure are you using to pressurize the cases? Are you putting a drier on the air supply?
The pressure is 1.5 to 2 psi, enough for about 4 ft of water above the axles.

No air drier, but I do have the alcohol evaporator installed for cold weather to prevent ice build-up. IMHO the alcohol evaporator should be used on trucks with air drier also.

Barrman

Sailer

The fording kit for most military vehicles uses engine blow by to pressurize the engine/transmission/t-case and axles.

The axle/transmission/t-case vent lines all go to the air filter housing area depending on the vehicle and tie into the engine vent system. A pull handle inside the cab connects to the engine vent system (What a pcv valve is part of in a normal car,) Pulling the handle closes off the vent system from the air intake system. This causes pressure to build inside the engine and the other components listed. Therefore, they now have positive pressure and theoretically will keep water out. You can tell if it is working right because your transmission shifter boot will inflate like a tire.

Obviously, this can cause major oil leaks if left this way for normal use. You are only supposed to use it during fording operations and at speeds slower than around 5 or 8 mph. I can't remember what the plate says on my M35 dash right now.

greensix

the alemite number for axle vents is 327240 opens at 1-1 1/2 psi. if you use any higher psi vents the pressure will cause you to leak especially if seals are old

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Axle Breather Valves

Barrman said:
.....You can tell if it is working right because your transmission shifter boot will inflate like a tire....
The vent on top of the transmission should release the pressure to keep that from happening, but the boot does have to be tight.