• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle changes ?!?

Jones

Hello to all... I'm starting on my seventh deuce and this one, I want to play with a little. Has anyone got any experience putting M-900 series axles with their springs and hangers under a deuce? These are the BIG, full air brake, ten hole Budd wheel babies and I'm concerned about axle to oil pan and other engine components clearance as I may need to set the front axle back a bit. Am also going to a single M-900 series rear axle.

Have picked up, and am going to run the ten hole Budd 20X10 three piece rims and 1400R20 super singles so any experiences or fatherly advice will be greatly appreciated.

Truck is a standard-issue turboed M35a2 that I've switched over to Allison A545 from the five speed. And so far, it seems to like that change.

Thanks, Jones

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man that oil pan is going to be close. Mabye you could lift it about 2 inches so they don't kiss each other.
Besides if you lift it a bit the front tires will stay away from the fenders.

Jones

Thanks Ken,
It's looking more and more like I'm gonna be putting this back together from the stripped-frame-on-jack-stands stage so axle and possibly even eng/trans/t-case placement is still up in the air. I know it sounds like a big project but what the heck, it keeps me off the streets at night.
Jones

Jones

Wrestled the dual rears and all the related components out from under my deuce this weekend and got the 5 ton rear springs, perchs and axle in... boy, what a treat. Next, out comes the engine, trans, transfer case so I've got room to work on getting the 5ton steer axle in. Can anybody remind me why I'm going to this much work on a rig that'll get me less than 10mpg on a good day?!?

Jones: Can anybody remind me why I'm going to this much work on a rig that'll get me less than 10mpg on a good day?!?
I know it sounds like a big project but what the heck, it keeps me off the streets at night. Jones
Jones,

LOL I think you answered your own question........ :)
Plus........... it is going to be awesome!!!

Keep us up to date and some pics would be great.

Jones

Roger to both.
I still run the streets at night but by then I'm too tired to get into trouble. What's the quote on chasing women? "I'd be like a dog chasing a car; if I caught one, I wouldn't know what to do with it."

hot rod deuce

hmm im interested in this one i was going to do the same when i added 16:00's but the front drive is on the oposite side i think and i would need 100 more HP just to cary the weight around. Air brakes were the big reason i wanted them but they are wedge brakes....ugg...you will realy like the 6.17 gears,with that 545 not having an OD or even lock up converter to save 200 RPM on top. Did you know you can put a retarder on that tranny were the PTO goes?
either way i cant wait to see it, as a pair of 5t steers may be in my future as well

Jones

I ended up going with an M-900 series transfer case to get the drive shafts on the correct side. I wanted the full air too. Wedge brakes get replaced with S-cam later on although I've just seen an air disc set-up that looks adaptable. A lock-up torque converter may be in my future but right now I'm still moving stuff around and re-mounting everything. Didn't know there was a side mounted retarder available. Thought my only options were the hydraulic pumps which is a consideration if I decide to go with a hydraulic winch. Also in the works is the intercooler set-up - most of the plumbing is done and when the engine goes back it it'll get hooked up. Will share what info I gain as the project continues. If nothing else comes of this, at least we'll all know where the trip-wires are.

hemichallenger

Has anyone done this without changing the transfer case? I want to put the air brake 5 tons under a bobbed deuce and then it will be easy to change to s cams on the rear.

ODdave

I am curious about the trans. A545.? 5 speed? Iv heard of an at545 4 speed. Where did you find this trans? I an curious because I am thinkin of running a at545 with a f106 front axle and a H172 rear on 1600's. Both axles have 6.82 ratio .