• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle disconnect

Ok per say on a couple other threads and things that have been pmed, and talked about on the phone. Might as well bring this to light to see what kind of market, or interest there is in a rear axle disconnect. This would allow you to disconnect on of your rear axles on the deuce, and only have one axle live. Reducing resistance on the driveline.

Or even the thought of some other way of doing a disconnect system. Maybe a air actuated driveline disconnect. Which would disengage the whole third axle. Which in return would greatly reduce the problem of skid steer from the 2 rear axles trying to push you straight while trying to turn. Also would make the front steer tires last a lot longer.

What is some thoughts out there on this?

jatonka

AP Bloom of Interagency Motorpool on Shelter Island, NY began work on the axle disconnect several years ago. His principal was just as it is done on cars towed by motorhomes. It is doable, it takes research and development dollars and he didn't pursue it for lack of faith that anyone would buy it after he built it. I understand the problem, but it is too bad the project didn't get finished. I think it would be a great feature, probably too expensive for the average hobbyist, but in reality, a very desirable item for guys who seriously road their trucks.

jwaller

jasonjc said:
You can just put a locking hub on one of the rear axles.
ditto. this is a much better solution. Using the forward tandem to power the truck is a terrible idea. lots of wheel hop and makes turning harder. a hub disconnect on the forward tanem is the best option.

jasonjc said:
thats what was being discussed on the first one about a axle/lockout setup. Offering them as a package setup. As to making a replacement rear axle shaft with 16 spline ends on both ends and a lockout.

5tonpuller said:
I would love one for my 5 ton.
Thats actually been talked about seeing if it can be made affordable for the trucks.

jwaller said:
jasonjc said:
ditto. this is a much better solution. Using the forward tandem to power the truck is a terrible idea. lots of wheel hop and makes turning harder. a hub disconnect on the forward tanem is the best option.
It was something that was discussed. Just looking into peoples thoughts and ideas on what they would like to see for the trucks, or would like to find for them

m35a2cowner

Question

Excuse my ignorance but would putting some sort of one-way clutch in the read driveshaft work? Say something like when the axle was turning faster (I don't know if this is ever the case) from going around a corner it free wheels but is powered at the same speed as the other one.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i believe a timkin dd series double reduction drop in third member will fit our 5t rears, (just finding them that would be the problem) then swapping our 6.44 gears to it, timkin also made a smaller version that looks like the deuce axles, both of these timkins had a power divider (a inter axle disconnect) on the front rear. i dont have my books here to give the timkin numbers, though thay were posted in a earler post, im sure you could find some in a old big truck junk yard, i believe my old 52 m52 had timkins. at one time it was "timkin (rockwell)" stamped on the plate on the axle under some trucks in the civi world