• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle fluid plug/Transfer case plug hex? Where's brake fliud

wsucougarx

I went and checked out some deuces. Everything was going great with some trucks and others not so great. I brought a 1/2" drive with me. Now I couldn't gain access to some axles and transfer case b/c of a hex type of plug. Can anyone tell me what size I would need? Now hopefully memory serves me correctly it looked like an octagon hex type plug?

Also, where in the world do I look for the brake fliud reservoir? I assume it's not in an obvious site and probably doesn't have an easy to read fluid reservoir like our cars. When I looked under plate on the driver side I didn't see a distinct reservoir just a couple metal apparatuses. HELP

Re: Axle fluid plug/Transfer case plug hex? Where's brake f

wsucougarx said:
Also, where in the world do I look for the brake fliud reservoir? I assume it's not in an obvious site and probably doesn't have an easy to read fluid reservoir like our cars. When I looked under plate on the driver side I didn't see a distinct reservoir just a couple metal apparatuses. HELP

Thats it. you open that little plate on the driverside floor board and see the cap and the breather line on the brake system. Thats it. most people add a regular reservoir

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gringeltaube said:
Try a 9/16" hex type wrench.
Never saw any octagonal plugs.

G.
I'd say it takes a "allen" type wrench. You may be right on the size. I can't remember.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m16ty said:
I'd say it takes a "allen" type wrench.
:) First I had put "allen" wrench ... but wasn't sure if everybody was familiar with that...

So Yes, it's a 9/16 allen! Only found those as drain plugs in a few trannys and MF fuel tanks, never on TC or axles.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gringeltaube said:
m16ty said:
I'd say it takes a "allen" type wrench.
:) First I had put "allen" wrench ... but wasn't sure if everybody was familiar with that...

So Yes, it's a 9/16 allen! Only found those as drain plugs in a few trannys and MF fuel tanks, never on TC or axles.
Allen is actually a brand name but everybody around here calls them "allen wrenches" :wink: .

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
LOL Just kidding ,,I have Allens/Hex up to 1" I used everyday before I retired . probably got 100 , maybe the scrap ward ,,right much weight there,

Barrman

If you find yourself in a spot where you don't have a 9/16" Hex or Allen. Grab any 3/8" bolt which has a 9/16" head on it. Use two nuts jambed together on the bolt to turn it with a regular 9/16" wrench. Vice Grips work good as well. So does welding a nut onto the bolt.

Buying the proper tools is the best route, but on the side of the highway you use what you have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks