• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle key-way seal wedges...Help!

Lex_Ordo

I am going to be replacing the axle seals in my truck's fwd rear right wheel on Friday.
I have all the parts coming from Memphis Equipment, however I was going to order from McMaster-Carr, or go to the local auto parts store and get a piece of rubberized gasket sheet to make the key-way seal wedges.

Can anyone tell me how thick the gasket needs to be? I will cut the length and the width to fit the key, but I don't know how thick the key is. I want to make sure, that the outer seal, and lock rings compress the key seal tight to prevent any further leak.
McMaster-carr has 6x6 and 12x12 sheets in the following gasket thickness:
1/32"
1/16"
1/8"

Then, on an as needed basis, I can repeat the steps for the other five wheels.

Lex_Ordo

I didn't order a kit, just the seals and lock washers. From what I've read here on the search, the Key seals just get made out of gasket material. However, not knowing the correct thickness, makes it difficult to get all the pieces of the puzzle.

ida34

Some people get a small block chevy valve cover gasket and cut them up. I have done it both ways and found that I would rather pack the keyway with RTV instead of the cork.

Lex_Ordo

Thank you for the information, however I really would rather use the rubberized gasket material, as it will outlast the cork. I hope to only have to do each hub once. Only as needed of course, but once is enough.

I'm gong totake wild guess and get the 1/8" as if it is more than this, it's pretty thick, and if it's less, then it will just seal that much tighter.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I did 2 axles with RTV 2 years ago and both of them are holding up fine with no leaks and one of them has about 4K miles on it.

Just an FYI.

FreightTrain

Banned
I use Smurf Snot every time.Put a bead in teh groove,slide the seal one,then put a glob on the outside then put the nuts on.They will not leak.Now getting the seals back off....Might be a slight issue since I use so much......

Stan

You can cut them out of the corks from a wine bottle. A lot of the "corks" aren't cork but are a plastic material. Works great. Drink the wine when your finished to celebrate another job well done.