• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle parts, diagrams, sources

sewerzuk

Recent events have created the need for some front axle parts for my A2. I managed to score several races, inner and outer bearings from a surplus Timken house for about $120; I now have enough to replace the bearings that need to be replaced, and a couple of extras.
I also need a couple other parts...one stub shaft (or a complete short side axle shaft assembly), and a spindle. I have done quite a bit of digging, and have located some parts on a couple of different sites. I have a couple of questions:

1. I noticed that Chuck's Trucks sells a new spindle here:
2.5 Ton Rockwell Spindle - NEW

Are these available through "normal" axle suppliers (Like Six States, Potter-Webster, etc.?) If so, does anybody have a rockwell part number?

2. I have found used spindles at a couple of places, but the price is nearly the same as the new one that I found. Most of the common surplus dealers (Saturn, Erik's, TNJmurray, eastcoast, etc.) don't seem to sell individual axle parts (other than normal consumables such as bearings and gaskets). Does anybody know where I may be able to purchase a used spindle for less than the cost of a new one?

3. I have seen short side takeout axles for $200-$300 on various surplus sites, and used stub shafts for around $200. A brand new Ouverson 4340 stub shaft is only $175...so it seems like a used stub shaft should go in the $50-100 range. Any sources for reasonably priced stub shafts or short side assemblies? Is there a secret stash of rockwell parts somewhere that I haven't located? Any SS members here in the NW that have piles of axles they're willing to sell parts off of?

sewerzuk

Have you searched the classifieds and e-bay?
Yes and yes; thorough search on ebay, and a google custom search on the classified section.
It isn't that I can't find the parts...its just that I had a $1200 weekend to get my truck back home, and I'm trying to save a few hundred on some good replacement parts for it now that I have it back in my shop. I'm hoping somebody will chime in with something like "call ED! He has a whole bunch of those and is willing to sell parts if you come pull them off" or something similar...

sewerzuk

After a few hours of phone calls, google searches, and BB classified browsing, I stumbled across Red River Parts and Equipment; they shipped me everything I needed for under $150; including some extras (seals, spindle nuts, lock washer, etc.). I don't have everything in my hands yet, but the person on the phone seemed plenty knowledgeable about the rockwell axle and was quick and efficient with pricing. Thought I would post this up for others...quite a bit cheaper than going through one of the surplus dealers:

Red River Parts & Equipment, Inc. - Contact Us

runk

That is interesting, they must not be as busy as in the past. They are right outside the Red River base, and have a huge yard (you can see it on goggle maps). Tried to talk with them about some parts a couple of years ago, and they had no interest in dealing with an individual, even if I picked the parts up. At the time, they were only interested in big export orders.

sewerzuk

Just thought I would follow up; my experience with Red River Parts was good. They shipped fast, with reasonable shipping rates. The parts were in good shape; maybe a little hastily disassembled (a couple of minor chisel marks on the outside of the spindle required a few minutes with emery cloth to allow the bearing to slide on properly, and there were a few stray hammer marks on the stub shaft ears) but otherwise in good shape. Their prices for the parts were excellent.

I'll be calling them for future parts needs...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks