• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle plug won't budge

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When taking the plug out of aluminum, I have used a heat gun to warm the housing, which does no harm. The coefficient of thermal expansion for aluminum is high, much higher than for steel, so the hole will expand. While the housing is warm, place a small amount of dry ice in the plug. This will contract the plug and it will then come out quite easily.

3rdmdqm

Got the plug out. Used air ratchet and it came loose without having to heat it or utilize other "special operation tactics." Special thanks to "M816 Someday" for helping me out and getting it loose as well as straightening the dent/fold in my tailgate where someone smashed into it bending it in making the gate bind. Works good as new now!:-D

13 MIKE

the heat does shrink the pull thats what causes it to break free. but it cools slowly as it is in oil . which is how metal is hardened . if you threw water on it to cool it .that would make it softer and easier to strip .
Thats incorrect. When you quench, either in oil, or water you are in essence freezing all the molecule in place. If you want to temper(soften) you heat, and then let it cool on it's own, no quench.

Some tool steels are different. D-2 is a air hardening steel, no quench.

stumps

Heat expands. Differential expansion cracks loose rust, paint, locktite,corrosion, whatever is holding the plug. No need to make it red, just stinking (smoking) hot is enough.

-Chuck