• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle seal fixed, encouraged to do other things & ?????'s

MilitaryRestoration

So last weekend I decided that a month of having the axle seal leak was enough and that I couldn't even look at the truck anymore before it got fixed. So the father and I went at it and only took about a half day using his little short cuts and tricks of the trade ;-) And then in doing so it only encouraged me to get onto painting the wheels and hubs the way we like them. So then after taking the axle out of the axle needing to be fixed we realized how loose they had the nut and how sloppy the bearings were, which is more than likely why the seal went out. So we check the others and sure enough there are three other tires that the bearings are sloppy in so thats my project for this week and this weekend but here are the pictures that I have so far and I'm about half way done.

Attachments

cleb

Todd I was just looking at your truck and I noticed that our trucks are from the same unit! 81BDE 181SPT, my truck came from Bravo Co, yours looks like Alpha Co. I know Bravo Co is out of Yakima, not sure about Alpha. Thats funny, we even picked them up on the same day ;p. The 818 on GL right now is from that unit as well, but its in pretty sad shape. Wish I had the $$ and time! Any news on the SF-97s?

MilitaryRestoration

front end now done... :)

Dan-whatcha doing to your truck?

Cleb-alpha was out of fort lewis so was a local local truck ;-) and not news on sf-97 yet

rockman-thats what I thought as well until my father showed me the tricks of trade ;-) using the metal on the ground well oiled and greased is defintely the key and trick to it though...

Attachments

Coveralls

MilitaryRestoration, where did you get your seals from? I have a 817 that needs doing, and seeing your post makes me want to get mine done now. Would a 3" peice of pipe be ok to tap them in place, or did your dad have a special tool for this?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks