• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle seals, O-rings,wheel bearing seal sets for A3?

I am planning on servicing my wheel bearings this summer. I've been reading the TM in regard to this. I'd hate to smoke one of these pricey bearings....ouch! It's a little out of my skill set so I'm seeking some expert oversight from some mechanics nearby :) I don't have any leaks or anything but I'm trying to stay ahead of this thing.

Does anyone know of a supplier that has a set of seals, orings, etc for each axle? I was looking for a complete set all packaged together so I don't forget any or buy the wrong ones.

I've also read some threads on this and Permatex right stuff is looking like what I need also in addition to the seals and o-rings.

F18hornetM

Im not sure about the A3 as mine is an A2. Assuming they have same axles, I use good automotive silicone instead of cork plug in the key way. Seems to work fine. Like permatex black or gray

welldigger

The axles are for the most part the same. The spindles, wheel bearings, and hub seals are different. For the key slots I get a big chunk of cork and cut my own pieces to fit in the slot. Then you can smear rtv over it. I guess strait rtv would work but having that cork under the bearing race makes me feel better.

F18hornetM

Yes straight RTV will work. I've had the silicone in there for about 2 years now, plenty of miles. [about time for another re-packing] But good idea on the chunk of cork too. Like you said makes you feel better. The 5 ton I bought from GL had silicone in there already, no cork, so I suppose the Army maintenance was doing same thing. But I would get good RTV from a auto supply store, not some cheap stuff.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you run into a A3 bearing problems give me a call , I have extra used inner and outer bearings , I just replaced all my seals and bearings with the A2 style . I also have a set of seals you can have real cheap for the A3 bearings , got them from Erik's before I decided to change over to the early bearing set-up . bob k

welldigger

Yes straight RTV will work. I've had the silicone in there for about 2 years now, plenty of miles. [about time for another re-packing] But good idea on the chunk of cork too. Like you said makes you feel better. The 5 ton I bought from GL had silicone in there already, no cork, so I suppose the Army maintenance was doing same thing. But I would get good RTV from a auto supply store, not some cheap stuff.
My buddies a3 also had no cork in the slot. Just rtv. My a2 had cork and rtv. So we added cork to his truck and I left my cork. As you said I'm sure both work just fine. I just like the redundancy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks