• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

axle snaped

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
When i bought my m-35 the owner told me the left front tire would not pull. after getting it home i found the snapped off piece of the axle under the pass seat. 1953 Studebaker m-35 with timkin axles will a Rockwell axle shaft work or do i need to find a timkin shaft? Would like to replace the hole thing from punkin to hub, if it broke this I'm sure everything else it tweaked just a little. this is the piece that goes from the nuckle to the outer hub.

Attachments

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
you will need a axle with the same type of joint,,, U joint or CV, If it is U joint they will be interchangeable but if it is a CV shaft you should get the whole axle. Just installing one new tulip you might have issues, premature ware and failure.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old Timken marked axles are the same as the newer marked Rockewells.

Which front axle joint does it have? Bendix or Spicer? You do not have to match sides but do need to be sure that the steering angles are acceptable to the most restrictive joint installed.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you upgrade from the old ball style to the newer u-joint style it will NOT just slide in as a replacement. The seal retainer that presses into the end of the axle tube is different. If you try to put a u-joint shaft in where an old ball style was it will not go in far enough, you have to replace the retainer with the seal.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I plan on replacing everything with new when i tear it down, but thanks for that info. it will set a few weeks tore down while i wait on parts after i see what i need. I hate to do thinks over, would rather do it right the first time!

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Just curious witch joints are stronger? I would have thought the joint would have let go before the shaft.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow that is a loaded question.
Depends on who you want to believe, the materials guys, the "off road" guys that run the big axles, the test and evaluation technicians that push the parts, or the engineers that design the parts.
I personally like the materials guys, the test technicians, and the design engineers that all seem to agree that the Bendix joint is the superior joint except in cost.
We have failed many Spicier joints but have yet to fail a Bendix joint, we have failed shafts attached to the Bendix joints.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old Timken marked axles are the same as the newer marked Rockewells.

Which front axle joint does it have? Bendix or Spicer? You do not have to match sides but do need to be sure that the steering angles are acceptable to the most restrictive joint installed.
Do believe if it says timkin it has cv.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tie6044, any thoughts on why the Spicer joint does not meet the military requirement for front axle joints? (Based on the statements from the U.S. Army Ordinance Center Sub course OD1006 for Wheeled Vehicle Drive Lines.)
"The front axle shafts must be able to pivot in the steering knuckle, and there must be a
universal joint to transmit power at an angle. A single, conventional universal joint (the
type used in the propeller shaft) does not meet military requirements for use on the front
axle assembly."

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks