• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Swap (M101A3 axle to a M101A2 frame)

scranch18121

I'm looking at putting a M101a3 Axle under a M101A2 trailer so I have the wider axle under a better frame and tub.

What I'd like to do is unbolt the springs from the frame at all 4 connecting points on the A3 and roll it over to the A2 and re-bolt. Does anyone know if they are compatible... and this can be done without cutting anything.

Putting together a hunting / trail gear trailer and have other mods coming.

derf

I just put a civy 3500lb axle under a M101A1.
The A2s have heavier leaves than the A1s, but the A1 I have had 7 instead of 5 leaves.
I haven't seen an A3 but I'll bet the spring mounts are the same. Just measure them.
I thought the A3s had better 4" frame?
The M101s should all be on M116 chassis, right? You may want to look at swapping the trailer bodies. I think there are some bolts and slotted holes in the chassis and the body comes off easily.

ultim8gamr

In the lot of 3 M101A2s that I bought. Two had the thicker frames and one had a shorter one. all had the A2 axles, but one had longer studs on the hubs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at putting a M101a3 Axle under a M101A2 trailer so I have the wider axle under a better frame and tub.

What I'd like to do is unbolt the springs from the frame at all 4 connecting points on the A3 and roll it over to the A2 and re-bolt. Does anyone know if they are compatible... and this can be done without cutting anything.

Putting together a hunting / trail gear trailer and have other mods coming.
??? Why is the 101A2 a better frame and tub? The -A3 frame should be an inch taller and rated at 1 ton. The swap is a complete bolt in. I did the reverse of what you did not long ago, put an -A2 axle in an -A3 trailer. Here's a link but no pics in progress. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=40607

Instead of swapping springs, I just swapped axles.