• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Swap Question

spacelarry

I am wanting to swap in a Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear into my M1009. My only question is can I swap in one axle then possibly later on swap in the other? I ask because I can't afford both axles at the same time. Or do I need to just buy them separately and then install at the same time?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do that but once you have one in, 4 WD will be useless. The difference in gear ratios front to back will break something if you engage 4 WD. Best to do both at once.

jimmy-90

A 14bolt ff out of a 3/4 ton truck will have the spring pearches at the correct width and not require them to be cut off and new ones welded on. The only issue would be the rear drive shaft. If you can live without 4WD for a while then it shouldn't hurt to do them one at a time.

DokWatson

You can do that but once you have one in, 4 WD will be useless. The difference in gear ratios front to back will break something if you engage 4 WD. Best to do both at once.
This^

Highest gear made for Dana 60 was 3.54, and 3.21 for the 14B so we automatically know your gears won't match. You can do either one, but you definitely won't be able to use 4wd without blowing something up.

Does somebody on here have a step by step instruction on how to do the axle swap?
Axles aren't held on by much, I don't think you need instructions. Remove drive shaft, remove u-bolts, disconnect brake lines, disconnect axle breathers...pretty much all there is to it.

Oh, you will need a large torque wrench or at least a 1/2 inch impact to torque the u-bolts safely.

Last edited:
I should have put that i was talking about Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear 1 ton axles. I'm new to this so thats why i'm asking. Can you get the Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear in a 3/4 ton axles. What would be the best upgrade. I plan on not putting any bigger than a 4" lift.

DokWatson

I should have put that i was talking about Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear 1 ton axles. I'm new to this so thats why i'm asking. Can you get the Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear in a 3/4 ton axles. What would be the best upgrade. I plan on not putting any bigger than a 4" lift.
Into what?

Dana 60 will bolt into whatever you have, no modifications other than maybe a conversion u-joint. A 14bff from a 1 ton pickup has differen't spring perch spacing than 3/4 ton and below, have to cut them off and weld new ones on. Also may need a conversion u-joint. I don't have the part numbers for the u-joints, but the info is out there.

acesneights1

x2. Measure the width on the 14b FF perches. it should be the same. The only ones that were different to my knowledge was a 14b ff Dually. If you are talking about using axles from an M1008 into an M1009 AFAIK should be bolt in. The master cyl is different but I have used a 1/2 ton master on 3/4 ton diffs with no issue at all. I have never tried it with a 60 but it will probably work...It's a Chevy, It always works...BTW you are very wise. That will be bad ass. 1/2 diffs are garbage IMHO.

86m1028

x2. Measure the width on the 14b FF perches. it should be the same. The only ones that were different to my knowledge was a 14b ff Dually. If you are talking about using axles from an M1008 into an M1009 AFAIK should be bolt in. The master cyl is different but I have used a 1/2 ton master on 3/4 ton diffs with no issue at all. I have never tried it with a 60 but it will probably work...It's a Chevy, It always works...BTW you are very wise. That will be bad ass. 1/2 diffs are garbage IMHO.

1 TON 14 BOLT SPRING PERCH WIDTH IS DIFFERENT
SHOCK MOUNTS ARE ALSO DIFFERENT

3/4 ton 14 bolt spring perch width is same as 10 bolt

Chevy FRT dana 60 is a direct fit.

Last edited:

AllenEM

You will need larger u-bolt for the front and the passenger side spring plate from the the donor truck the axle tubes are larger and the spring plate is different and you will need to change your rear springs because the axle tubes are also larger in the back but you can get a kit with that in it plus shock mounts because you will also need to move them. and the rear spring perches will have to be move the kit I looked at had all of those parts in it. go to pirate 4x4 and do a search for axle swap.

I just did all of this, this past spring but if you want to drive it on the street you may want to look at regearing because 45-50 is max save speed it seems.

I took mine from a M1008 both front and rear.

Last edited:

acesneights1

1 TON 14 BOLT SPRING PERCH WIDTH IS DIFFERENT
SHOCK MOUNTS ARE ALSO DIFFERENT

3/4 ton 14 bolt spring perch width is same as 10 bolt

Chevy FRT dana 60 is a direct fit.
How could a 3/4 ton diff be differnt than a 1 ton ? It's the same diff.
OP measure your perches Center bolt to center bolt and I'll measure mine. I don't ever remember having that problem. My old 91 Blazer had a 14 bolt FF. I do know the shocks ar differnt. I forgot about that. it's an easy fix.

86m1028

How could a 3/4 ton diff be differnt than a 1 ton ? It's the same diff.
OP measure your perches Center bolt to center bolt and I'll measure mine. I don't ever remember having that problem. My old 91 Blazer had a 14 bolt FF. I do know the shocks ar differnt. I forgot about that. it's an easy fix.

Axle WIDTH is SAME

Spring perches on a 1 ton are narrower than a 3/4 ton.

Thats why the 1 ton u-bolts are upside down
(clearance issue with frame & ubolt plate)

And shock mounts are in a different location.

Not a big deal, I just wanted to make it clear there are differences.

Its not a (bolt in) deal like the frt Dana 60 is.

Last edited:

86m1028

so would i be better off going 3/4 or 1 ton axles?

Frt Dana 60 1 Ton

Rear 14 bolt 3/4 ton you wont have to move spring or shock mounts.
You wont find a detroit & 4.56's in a STOCK 3/4 14 bolt.

1 ton you will have to relocate spring & shock mounts
(not a big deal)
any cucv minus the m1009 will have 4.56 gears & detroit

Long story short if your sticking with 4.56 gears go 1 ton 14 bolt.
if you are changing gears go with a 3/4 ton 14 bolt (bolt in)

Thats just my opinion & im sticking to it.