• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle swap

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were considering it, I would tell myself the work involved was not worth the dividend from past experience. You will need access to your own welder, etc. and the ability to handle heavy parts. You would be ahead to have your own machine shop to make the needed adapters, etc., or it will be cost prohibitive. You will still end up with a greatly underpowered truck if you intend to use it for any kind of hauling work.
I put a Hendrickson tandem out of a civilian gas powered truck under one of my M135's to get the power divider so I was not running locked rear axles when hauling heavy loads on the roads, but could lock them off-road. The ratio was slightly different from the front axle, so I designed and machined up a dog clutch for the front axle drive shaft so I could manually shift it in and out when needed from the cab.
I did not know the fellow, but a guy bought the axles out of an M35 at the local scrap yard to put them under his M135. He returned the axles a month or so later having given up on it. I do not know the details of his experience, only that he ended up not doing it.
If I had known then what I know now about how much better the M35's with the multifuel turned up are for power, etc. over the GMC I would never have done it. I was young and ambitious then!!
Regards Marti

Ridgerunner

People have installed thousands, and thousands of Rockwell top-loader axels into other vehicles, that they were never designed for. It's a simple axle design, that adapts well to other applications.

If you are mechanically inclined, I don't see the M211 swap much different.

redthegreendog

Thanks for the posts. I have a parts truck M35 so I have all the hardware to do the switch out. Just tossing the Idea around.
And I was thinking of changing the Engine to something diesel powered for more HP and to share parts with my M35A2. What would be a good engine to use that will fit and bolt to a spicer gear box.

robm211

there m35 axles arnt much different than the m211 axles there shouldnt be any problems swapping them out but i would keep the m211 axle into the truck because that was obviously the cargo truck which was meant for heavy loads i would keep the m211 axles in it and avoid all the work

armytruck63

Remember that the transfer case of the M211 has two outputs for the two rear driveshafts, whereas the M35 has one. If you try to drive the two M35 axles from one of the outputs of the M211 transfer case, you could have an overload situation and damage the M211 transfer case.

nattieleather

I wouldn't swap the axles. The M135/211 axles IMHO have a better brake set up than the M35. Having owned both trucks adjusting the brakes on the M211 was much eaiser than the M35 and the M211 would stop on a dime and give 8 cents change where the M35 well it will slow down and stop eventually.... :) I see no advantage on the M35 axle other than parts available.

hippiedude

:ditto:What Gimp said ........ It would be alot easier to swap cabs. .......You already have a m35 parts truck right ???? Do that , and save your self a headache ................ Tim