• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

axle swap

Atwater

looking at possible axle swaps to gain better gearing for the m1008. seems 3/4 - 1 ton dodges often have 3.54s.
anybody ever try swap non gm axles into a cucv :?:
mostly looking at changing gearing because of a planned cummins swap.:cool:

OL AG '89

SO many really GOOD GM axles out there......
I think you can find something that wouldn't have to "engineer" to make it work
It's kinda like doing the doghead "fix" if nothings broke......

Screamin' Metal

I'm with ODDave, just open up thediff.s and new ring and pinion. Just be sure you got the right sets, and keep your assembly area clean. This way, you can INSPECT your bearings and seals and freshen them up. After 20+ years in service....they'll need them....

OL AG '89

I'm trying to figure out something... You just want "better" gearing right?

Need to define gearing requirements..... OFROAD or ONROAD ????

If it's ONROAD go with waht gets you to 65 mph without straining engine.... not sure what the power curve looks like in the cummins......

If it's strictly for OFFROAD use then a set of 4.10's or so will set you up nicely.... again check the power curve for the cummins and figure where you are developing the most torque based on RPM's

Atwater

i was thinking of swapping axles because from what i see i think it would be faster to swap axles and quite possibly cheaper noting the price of parts trucks in this area.
i do have a pair of dually axles with 4.10s but i don't really want to convert to a dually. and if memory serves me right i think the truck may have been a cab chassis :doh: .
of course swapping gears would present the chance to buy a few tools i don't yet have:-D

choll

I switched from the 4:56 to 4:10 a few years ago when I was using the truck on the road alot it worked perfect. I switched back to 4:56 when the truck went back to off road duty. Also if you use 410's you get to use the same locker.

ODdave

I switched from the 4:56 to 4:10 a few years ago when I was using the truck on the road alot it worked perfect. I switched back to 4:56 when the truck went back to off road duty. Also if you use 410's you get to use the same locker.

you can use the same locker for any gear ratio....................

mudguppy

early dodges had the front axle pumpkin on the pass-side. many of these trucks had 3.08 gears with the cummins, due to lack of overdrive or locking converter transmissions.

2nd gen thru present dodges have the pumpkin on driver-side. most will have 3.54 gears with the cummins; you'll find D60 fronts in all, D70 rears in mid-90 automatic trucks, D80 rears in manual trucks. most will have the factory limited slip. 4.10s will mostly be in the duallys (D80s) and some 2500s.

aren't the CUCV axles a pass-side front diff? i can't remember...

ODdave

there's usually a case-split at around 3.73 requiring different carriers if using a lunchbox locker or other that isn't a full-carrier replacement.

it dose not matter for a 14 bolt ff. the detroit locker will fit ANY ratio case. as long as it is not a gov-loc...... The case break for the 14bolt ff is between 4.10 and 4.56. I belive this to be the same for the dana 60 also.

P.S. those early dodges w/ the 3.07 gears have Dana 61 fronts and Dana 71 rears

Last edited:

ODdave

Atwater, I dont know if you are aware of this but with a litle research gear swaps are actualy easy on these trucks. the front (dana) may seem more dificult but if you use O.E. gears it is actualy very easy. The trickiest part is setting the pinion depth but if you have O.E. gears its cake. The oe's are marked on the head of the pinion with a +,- or a 0. this tells you how many thousandths have been added or removed from the "base line" shim behind the head bearing cup. (sorry i cant remember what "base" is , i think its .035). Example- old pinion= -2, new = +1..... add .003, old pinion=+3, new = -2......remove .005
Then set your backlash and your done.

mudguppy

it dose not matter for a 14 bolt ff. the detroit locker will fit ANY ratio case. ... I belive this to be the same for the dana 60 also.
ok, i meant in general, sorry.

and the D60 requires different lockers according to the carrier split. i didn't know the 14 doesn't.

neat o.

ODdave

ok, i meant in general, sorry.

and the D60 requires different lockers according to the carrier split. i didn't know the 14 doesn't.

neat o.
6o's get to be a pita if you have a 1028, or 1031. findind a track loc with 35spline gears for 4.10 & down is about next to imposible. and changing the side gears in one sux just about as bad. Hes got a 1008 so puting his sidegears in the 4.10 and numaricaly lower case that you mentiond would be very easy

Atwater

the last time i messed with a ring + pinion was i think about 8 years ago. didn't seem all that rough.
mostly i just get kindof stressed over something i havent done much or in a few years:-|
most likely wont happen soon anyway unless the axles develop a problem sooner:shock:
thanks for the encouragement/info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks