• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Swap

Rebelpride

I bought a Dodge tug last week from GL. It has a Dana 70 with 7.17 gears and a Detroit Locker. My question is: if I do an axle swap as long as the distance from spring mount to spring mount is the same, I can put any axle I want ex. a M1009 axle?

Cucvnut

you might need to change the spring mounts but that's just some grinding and welding. i don't know how heavy a tug is but if it had a Dana 70 in it, It would most likely kill the M1009 10 bolt.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you try to drive it at speeds over 30mph, do you plan to lengthen the frame back to a normal length?

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a Dodge tug last week from GL. It has a Dana 70 with 7.17 gears and a Detroit Locker. My question is: if I do an axle swap as long as the distance from spring mount to spring mount is the same, I can put any axle I want ex. a M1009 axle?
You will need to move the spring pads. Will the dana 70 rear be available? For $$$ ?

Rebelpride

Doghead, naw I wasn't planning on lengthening the frame i was gonna leave it short.

Steve, yes i would like to sell it or trade it for an axle with a 3.07 or 3.08 rear axle

KsM715

:shock: Hope you dont plan on driving on wet or even slightly slippery pavement. You start to spin theres noway you'll have time to catch it.

Are you concerned with axle width? Whether or not the driveshaft shares the same u-joint? I doubt the 70 going to share the same joint as a little 10bolt. How the brakes hook up? Theres more to it than just spring pads.

Rebelpride

Thats what I'd really like to do, but haven't had a chance to go to any junk yards and ask.

Also whats wrong with living the wheelbase at the length it is now?

fcfred

why not just change gears and keep the dana 70?
you could go to a 3.54, and a slightly larger tire without too much drama.

I just tore off the back of my dodge tug, do you realize that that metal box on the back if full of concrete?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks