• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Temps

Sevo

Ok I used the search function but did not come across any threads that stood out. So I will post this. I am sorry if I missed it while searching.

My question is how should the axles feel by touch after driving around about 10 miles in town stop and go?

the reason I ask is, my right rear axle feels a little more than warm to the touch after taking her out today. All the other axles felt cooler than that one.

there are no leaks or fluid coming out anywhere. I don't hear any grinding or feel any.. not that I could hear it anyways.

Just looking for insight or am I being paranoid.

thank you for your help

coyotegray

I bought a Ryobi IR001 Non-contact Infrared Laser Thermometer at Home Depot for about $26-$27. Over the weekend I made a 45 mile trip at 45-50MPH. When I stopped the temps on my front and back hubs were around 100-115 degrees. They were fairly consistent all around so I am thinking my bearings are good. I’m going to try it out on my 101 trailer the next time I get it out. By touch I think I may have an issue with it.

Andy..

bz28

When I picked up my Deuce, I drove it 500 miles from NC to PA. We drove at a steady 50mph, almost all highway, about 250 miles a day. When I pulled over to stop for the night, all my hubs were cool/lukewarm to the touch. I don't know what the temperature was, but it wasn't remotely close to being what I would consider hot.

Sevo

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the feedback.

Hmmm, something to think about. I will get my infra red temp gun out and shoot some temps

tjcouch

After I make a 60 mile trip at 50- 52 mph, so 1 hour+, my center hubs are just "metal in the Florida sun" hot - if you can not grab and hold then centers w/o pain, I would say they need some attention.

scooter01922

This is an interesting topic. I was really wondering this the other day actually. On the run back from aberdeen we made a stop prob 3 hours out from the rally on the run home and i felt the hubs. ALL the hubs on my truck were the same temp. Too darned hot to hang on to but not hot enough to really burn you. Same with the hubs on mauros truck and the same on the trailer i was towing. All felt too damn hot but due to the fact that the 2 trucks and the trailer were all hot i guess it was somehow normal??? Had me a bit concerned but it was a warm day and all seemed normal otherwise.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35 runs lukewarm at best. M108 will heat up in just 10 miles to hot, but not hot enough to burn, on just the rears. I would guess it's because of all the extra weight.

wsucougarx

After driving my deuce for 150 miles, the fronts were cold (not even warm), and the rears were just a little warm like I just rubbed my palms together 3 seconds.

Sevo

After I make a 60 mile trip at 50- 52 mph, so 1 hour+, my center hubs are just "metal in the Florida sun" hot - if you can not grab and hold then centers w/o pain, I would say they need some attention.

Good description of the temps. That is exactly how it felt. Like metal that has been in the hot sun. ..

Did you guys feel your brake drums and diffential housings as well? Also, I would feel the parking brake drum as well.
Great idea, didn't think about checking those as well. I will when i take her out tonight. I will post what I find.

This is an interesting topic. I was really wondering this the other day actually. On the run back from aberdeen we made a stop prob 3 hours out from the rally on the run home and i felt the hubs. ALL the hubs on my truck were the same temp. Too darned hot to hang on to but not hot enough to really burn you. Same with the hubs on mauros truck and the same on the trailer i was towing. All felt too damn hot but due to the fact that the 2 trucks and the trailer were all hot i guess it was somehow normal??? Had me a bit concerned but it was a warm day and all seemed normal otherwise
That is my question, is this normal? Most of my hubs where luke warm ( hand rubbing warm) but that right one was "metal in hot sun" warm

it seems as others have this same temp so I am going to go with its ok and just keep an eye on it. I will post the findings of the differential and the brake drums.

Thanks for the insight guys... Please keep it coming

Chris

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris,
When I pulled the MKT back from Ft. Pickett last August (on a day that hit 100 F), I could keep my hands on the hubs of my deuce for over 10 seconds. Significantly warmer than that is a reason to be concerned!

Sevo

Chris,
When I pulled the MKT back from Ft. Pickett last August (on a day that hit 100 F), I could keep my hands on the hubs of my deuce for over 10 seconds. Significantly warmer than that is a reason to be concerned!
Mike,

were all your hubs this way or only a few of them?

I will have to take her out tonight and see to make sure. I will do some highway driving and feel them then.

I was thinking I will just go ahead and pack the bearings but I cant find any seals local in Columbia. Do you have a source?

had a great time at the hanger last night.. thanks again for everything

Chris

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got some new seals from OD Iron in Florida - look for their banner ads at the top of the page. They are new, not NOS.

When I stop on a long run, first thing is to check the vehicle (walk around), so it was every hub, and the sidewalls of every tire (including the inners on the rear), then pop the hood and do the checks there. If you need a printed copy of the GTA, let me know, I have an extra - GTA-9-1-185 (1-8) - on page 2 of the Technical manuals on the old site.

pittdog

look guys !!... Drain the pumkins ! All the same time !go get @ 3.5 gal. Gl-90... Pump it in .. Or pour it in... Stop when it stop when it start's to come outa the plug ... Stuff breaks down after couple years ... Or you do mutch fording ! Pittdog .... Ret 52-d... Usa ret ... Glad to give some advise !

pittdog

in that case !!! go for a bearin ! good to change the lube any way ... every couple years !.... and some times .... repack the bearins ! ... pittdog ... 52-d.. ret !.... good luck man !