• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle U-bolts

FL_Frank

Am hesitant to call this a deuce design flaw, but I could never figure out why there's a nice pocket above the axle U-bolts to collect all sorts of dirt and rot out the U-bolts over time. Mine was filled with red clay, likely from the southeast somewhere and the U-bolts were in bad shape. Short of drilling a drain hole, I don't know how to prevent this from happening again, but assuming the oxidation process takes time.

For me, this was a safety issue more than anything.

fwiw for Central Florida folks - There's a small machine shop in Leesburg, FL named Jungle Driveline that made me (4) new U-bolts for dirt cheap.

Attaching pictures of:

Old U-bolts, new u-bolts and the infamous pocket to collect dirt samples from where the deuce travels

-Frank

Attachments

ODdave

Thats the way most all trucks are now days. Respectivly they would have been be fine through the trucks "given service life" But there old and way past that now. Thats why PM is key element to a safe truck.

Good job on replacing them though.

FL_Frank

Thanks Dave and I couldn't agree more on the PM - every time I do one I find more stuff to fix/improve/replace.

I'm hopeful those are the original bolts because if they are, the new set will likely outlast me.

Thanks,
Frank

FL_Frank

How did you get them off? I've been fighting the ones On mine since Turkey Day.
Matt and I did the same thing apparently, with the same reliable chemical - PB Blaster. Lots of digging out the clay/dirt and soaking. And of course pounding relentlessly with a small sledge.

And be quiet with those design flaw words. they're fighting words with some.
Hehe ok. But how hard would it have been for the designers to makes that surface flat or ideally, slightly curved upward (in lieu of the pocket), which would have greatly lessened the bolt rot. Dave captured the reason I believe with they may not have really expected our trucks to last 40+ years, which is a fair assessment imho.

Speedwoble

fwiw for Central Florida folks - There's a small machine shop in Leesburg, FL named Jungle Driveline that made me (4) new U-bolts for dirt cheap.
Gave Jungle Driveline a call and they couldn't make me a set without knowing full dimensions, or having the name they were ordered under. I'm trying to capitalize on your work as I can see rust on mine.
Care to define dirt cheap and/or provide the necessary dimensions?

FL_Frank

Care to define dirt cheap and/or provide the necessary dimensions?
I think they were $15 each, but maybe less for all 4. Took the morning off of work and drove over to Jungle with the old one in hand. If you are going to travel there, I'd make sure he has the correct length and thickness of the straight rods in stock and bring on old one to check the nuts you have will fit. Other than that, he made them while I waited at the counter and only took a few minutes.

Now that I have typed that out, I see you are in PA, so don't know if he ships. If I am by there again I talk to him to see if he's willing to stock and ship these bolts that most of us seem to need. In lieu of that, Patriot posted a link above http://www.stengelbros.com/U-boltKits.htm (they are in PA it looks like) that will probably make them just as fast.

Be a business opportunity for someone who could make and sell these by the (4) pack.

-Frank

Last edited:

Titanium Soldier

most trailer shops and large truck shops make u bolts, i just had a set made for a bobber project 5/8" 13" long for 11 bucks a pop... as far as rot, looks pretty good to me for 40 year old bolts!!! just keep a ck on em! 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks