• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

axles help

Corey

5-ton Hydraulic brake bearing hubs are drilled for drive flanges on the inside like 2.5 ton hubs, they can be flipped. Air brake hubs are cast so they cannot be. I sold two front axles assemblys to a guy and he flipped the hubs, but is using custom pinion disc brakes, monster truck style.

KsM715

Corey, So are you saying on say an M818 with air over hydraulic brakes the front hubs can be flipped? Wonder what that would look like with the HEMTT wheels mounted reversed on the front?

USMC6062

Yes the front and rears can be flipped either way on hydraulic brake axles. The races are all the same part number, but I swapped races when I flipped the rear, because I'm reusing the bearings. I've always been taught to keep bearings with there races once they've been used. If somone wanted to, they could just flip flop the bearings, studs, and seal and put the hub back on the oppisite from what it was.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sheldon, there will probably be some interference between the back of the wheel studs and the studs that secure the spindle to the knuckle. You may have to switch to bolts on the spindle and then shave some off the back of the wheel studs. I've never studied the 5 ton for the flip before.

Corey

Here is the backside of a 5-ton hydraulic bearing hub next to an air brake hub. Recovry4x4 is correct, you will need to replace the spindle studs with bolts so the wheel studs don't rub. You would also need to add custom disc brakes.

Attachments

Last edited:

USMC6062

You can keep the studs that mount the spindle on, unlike a 2.5 ton where you have to change them out for bolts. Go on Chuckstrucks.net, a ton of people are running 5 tons on there and flipping hubs and such.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks