• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AZ Registration? Is yours commercial?!!!

firemedic355

New member here. Just bought and drove home a 1969 bone stock M35a2 Deuce from San Jose CA to Sierra Vista AZ. 920 MILES!

QUESTION is about how any fellow AZ residents have their Deuce or 5 tons registered? DMV insisted I had to get commercial plates due to the weight! 😠

The previous CA title and registration it had was just as a historic vehicle and only cost $117 for the year. New AZ "commercial registration" is $227 for a year!!! And even then I said I wouldn't exceed the stock 13,000 lb weight to even get it that low.

AZDeuce

I got Historic plates on mine here in Buckeye, AZ. I don't know if it's still true but when I registered mine about 9-10 years ago getting the Historic plate meant that meant no smog inspection, and NO weight fees.

firemedic355

Yeah, after some convincing, they allowed me to get the copper historic vehicle plates, yet still insisted it was a commercial registration and charged all the commercial fees.

firemedic355

After another day and another hour of fighting at the MVD....the best I could get out of them was remaining "commercial", but I could put whatever weight in their I wanted as long as it was 8,000lbs for whatever reason. On top of that, they still insisted I pay other little misc commercial fees, like a $10 diesel fee.

End result was $70 for the year. That's including tax and the $25 fee for historic plates. My renewal fee next year should be about $30 they said.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious......

Although I try not to dilute State-specific threads with comments or comparisions of other States' Laws and Regulations, I just have to ask:

Does Arizona, like Texas, include any SPECIFIC PROHIBITIONS of COMMERICIAL USE of vehicles registered as "Antique", "Classic", or "FMV" (Former Military Vehicle)??
If such an REQUIREMENT for NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY is written into THEIR LAWS, then one could presume that charging ANY fees related to COMMERCIAL USE would be in conflict with those RESTRICTIONS.

Arizona probably has ONLINE LAWS for citizens to read and research. (See the thread I made on the TEXAS FMV LAWS below.) You could do some State-specific research of your own. It might be worth the time investment to "catch them at their own game".

Keep us posted.

John

ALFA2

IN AZ, there are two basic types of MVD offices, State owned, and Private 3rd party. Of the 3rd party, there are several types, for the least hassle, you want to go to a minimal service one, the ones that Do Not issue ID's or Driver Licenses, and do not offer Check cashing services. These can do a Level 1 inspection of your MV, if you have a Title form any other state, and will issue you a AZ tile, Your choice of weights and your choice of plates, regular, personalized, college, commercial or Historic or Antique, depending on your vehicle's year. If you choose a historic, Antique or a college or a specialty plate, you will get a temp paper plate at that time, together with your New AZ title, and registration, 1 or 2 years ( your choice, and will wait for the metal plate to arrive to your address of record in the mail.) If you chose a normal plate, or a Commercial plate, you will walk out with a metal plate and registration stickers on it the same day. Your choice. If you have a box or a camper type device in or on your MV, you can register it as an RV as well, your choice, should you need to do so, same rules apply. For a level 1 inspection there is a separate one time fee, $ 10-18 depending on the office you go to, and make sure to point the inspector to the date plates, and or the frame number if they want to see those, rare, but it has happened. If your data plates are not legible, replace with a legible one. if your frame number is pained over or covered in rust or undercoating, clean it off so they can see the Number there. If the Level 1 inspection does not identify the Vin equivalent to the title you bring with your MV, then they will refer you to a state Level 2 inspection, where the scrutiny is mire intense, and they may check other items as to safety or completeness of the MV. ( avoid if possible) Each of these private offices operate with great amount of discretion, and some are OK with MV's as a category and some are not. If there are specific questions on this subject, let me know I had several that had gone thought out his process, and I know of several such inspection stations that will work OK. Hope this helps some.

Jeff Nelson

I have a 69 KJ Deuce and it's registered like any other pickup. Non-comercial, non-historic, etc. Just regular old plates. Of course, I did go to a third party place where I was prepared to have to explain what an M35A2 was. Turns out she was is the Army and drove one. So, no hassle at all for me. If dealing with the state DMV, your mileage may vary, don't try this at home, all bets are off, and so on. My experience with the difference in competence levels between DMV and third party people is huge. The DMV guys are protected by rules, hierarchy, unions, etc, so they don't really have to help or do much. (Mediocrity rules the DMV) The third party guys have to know their stuff and provide an accurate, professional service or they go out of business...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks