• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AZ will not title HMMWVs as of today

Gunfreak25

I agree, this would be a pretty easy argument for any halfway decent lawyer. And if you can afford to even buy a HMMWV, I am sure lawyers are well within your pocketbook as well.

Keep trying DMV offices, someone will title it. Jack at Jacks Goverment Surplus in Tucson can probably point you in the direction of a real nice DMV lady. Trailer that SOB on over.

saddamsnightmare

January 1st, 2012.

I still agree with Gunfreak25 above, if you figure that the government disposed of the USMC HMMWV's without any disposal restrictions on those batches, then the Federal exemption applies irregardless of whether the states want it to or not. FEDERAL law trumps state law. A sharp lawyer could cost the state some serious money if it got to a Federal District court and the letter and federal CFR cited above were quoted. The vehicles were not designed to meet FHSA regulations, only a military contract with the Federal government. No law can legally require a grandfathered or special built vehicle to meet regulations that either did not exist when it was built (as with antique cars) or did not apply as with the Federal contracts
above.
The only way the bureaucrats at the state level, as with the gluteous maximus's in Wisconsin, can get away with their chicanery is when nobody steps up to challenge them. What then happens, as in Wisconsin, is the legal concept of legislative or regulatory taking of property or use of property without payment for the taking. ALL our deuce owning friends in Wisconsin have effectively had their trucks taken without payment, as they can no longer legally drive them on the roads without the special restricted plates..... and maybe those restricted plates will not be issued to deuces. Forgive the pointed comments on my part, but when such precedents, legal or otherwise, are allowed to stand unchallenged, we are all going to soon feel their effects... Not a cheery thought ftrom where I sit.:(

B3.3T

As evidenced in Wisconsin, there is no Federal law requiring states to license any particular vehicle. It is up to the states. What one states does has nothing to do with requirements in another.

Ratch

she said the memo stated HMMWVs are not safe for the road
I might just say, "Ok, but can you title my motorcycle? It's realllllllly safe, especially since it's capable of over 120mph. That'll help me get out of the way real fast of any rampaging unsafe 55mph HMMWV's."

There's so much un-safe stuff on modern highways, any restriction from a safety standpoint is pure hypocrisy. Someone in a VW Rabbit breaking the speed limit will kill a ped or other driver just as easily as a big, slow MV. I just can't see it being a principled position.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize this is a very old thread. But I've done some searching and haven't found a answer. I have a job opportunity in Arizona and am trying to figure out if I would be able to get my 998 road legal. It is registered and titled and road legal here in Texas. But I'm wondering if AZ would recognize it? Anyone have any updated experience with Humvee's in AZ?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize this is a very old thread. But I've done some searching and haven't found a answer. I have a job opportunity in Arizona and am trying to figure out if I would be able to get my 998 road legal. It is registered and titled and road legal here in Texas. But I'm wondering if AZ would recognize it? Anyone have any updated experience with Humvee's in AZ?
Varies by DMV office.

Calling ahead is a waste of time.

DREDnot

Yes. I just did mine in record time within 24 hour of receiving my sf97.
Arizona has a specific form/affidavit they don't advertise that is for you to swear that it meets all AZDOT specs. Which are the USDOT specs. Add reverse light and license light and you are good to go with an level 1 inspection, emissions(phoenix and Tucson), and insurance. They classified it as a 1/2 ton pickup as its under 8500 GVW

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. I did try calling you are correct. Total waste of time. I'll be in the Kingman area so hopefully it won't be too bad if everything works out with the move.

DREDnot

Thanks for the info. I did try calling you are correct. Total waste of time. I'll be in the Kingman area so hopefully it won't be too bad if everything works out with the move.
When I started doing my research, the first place I called was the AZ DOT state office. The horses mouth so to speak. The nice lady there told me about the military vehicle on-road compliance affidavit. She said there wasn't a way to get to it by clicking on the website, but if you searched the form number it came up to download a copy. Im searching through my notes looking for the form number.

The kingman area doesn't smog test, so that's a step you can eliminate.

Plus, from the folks I've met in the kingman area, you should have a hard time finding someone that has a negative reaction to a HMMWV. Its a 4x4 paradise. They have factory desert testing facilities there for Jeep and Harley Davidson

_DSC6018.jpg

Gunnlogi

When I started doing my research, the first place I called was the AZ DOT state office. The horses mouth so to speak. The nice lady there told me about the military vehicle on-road compliance affidavit. She said there wasn't a way to get to it by clicking on the website, but if you searched the form number it came up to download a copy. Im searching through my notes looking for the form number.

The kingman area doesn't smog test, so that's a step you can eliminate.

Plus, from the folks I've met in the kingman area, you should have a hard time finding someone that has a negative reaction to a HMMWV. Its a 4x4 paradise. They have factory desert testing facilities there for Jeep and Harley Davidson

View attachment 759982
Got mine registered in Kingman. Had to get an inspection at the port and talked to GovPlanet titling again to have another form sent to me first. Bit of a hassle but if you keep pushing and asking questions you'll get it eventually. Ended up needing the sf97, bill of sale, the handwritten form (I can't remember what it's called, I'll update this when I do) and the ADOT VIN inspection from the port of entry officer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks