• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B/O driving light lense

1SICKMJ

Ok i got some CUCV black out lights from work and I looked at the lenses inside and they are fried, like the bulb got too hot and started to melt the lense. Tried cutting the silicone and punching them out but that was a failure and they just broke in half. Are they even meant to come out?

Tnrobocop

Usually not. They were just replaced. Hell most of the time we ran ours with just the clear lens part missing/busted out on purpose on the BO light to make it easier to see.

1SICKMJ

really can you see better with the naked eye? Were you using NVG's? Just curious cuz im kinda retro fitting the B/O light system from the CUCV's we toss at work on my jeep, LOL. I had them all painted up matte black and nice then i fried the lense being stupid trying out a halogen bulb in one to see how bright it could be.

Tnrobocop

You can see it better with the naked eye, but it is still pretty crappy to try and drive with them alone. Some guys have better eye sight than others. During Desert Storm we always drove with NVG's on. Back at Ft. Campbell we didn't always get issued all the NVG's because of reliablity, accountability, and maintenance issues.

We used to break them out because we were driving with PVS-5 NVG's which were crappy in retrospect but cool at the time. We needed the extra light.

Wearing PVS-7's we don't need the extra light, but it still helps.

The plastic I always saw was white rather than clear. You could in the future just cut it out from the rear, and replace it with clear plexiglas with clear silicone to seal it in.

1SICKMJ

Hmm i might have to try that plexi glass idea. LOL i tried cutting some other lenses out, then found out that was a failure and broke them in half too. I'll have to see if the light works better with no lense, thanks

3dubs

The B/O lights on the bumpers are to be seen so you do not get run into. The funny looking one on the grill puts a little light out so you can see enough to drive slow. A full moon gives you more light. I want mine for hunting so I can get there early in the morning without lighting everything up. Next I will work on the noise.

1SICKMJ

they would be good for hunting, i dont know how your gonna make that diesel quiet. Thing puts out a lot of chatter from under the hood, we just put a new injection pump in a CUCV at work. LOL that truck all of a sudden got louder.

Im putting the system on my jeep cuz i havent seen it done yet. And just think it would be kool with all these guys now a days tinting their lights and saying they got blacked out lights. LOL I really will have black out lights. You can see what ive done here,

BentFrame 4X4 - military black out lights

3dubs

Oh, you can only see the B/O lights when it is dark. They do not put out much light. That is why they are black out lights.

1SICKMJ

Yeah you could put insulation, but i guess we dont need to be quiet at HAVO.

Yeah i know you can only see them at night, last weekend I sat in the garage for hours waiting for it to get pitch black so i could see if i could see the light from the drivers seat, 15' infront of the truck is pretty good for me. Ive figured out how to wire the switches i took from a CUCV too. So its all good.