• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Baby got a new pair of shoes!

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thats for sure...Changed myne to 1400, Its much better...If you dont pull anything and are not in a rush to get to 50..then the 1600's are fine..
Kevin..

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks mean!! i have no experience with bigger tires on the deuces and 5 tons...but they sure do look good! hope you dont experience brake fade...i did once (not with the deuce)and its wierd!

Hammer

NICE :drool: I want a wrecker real bad.

Have you noticed any loss in braking performance - or degradation of?

Not sure about his, but on my 818 with 16's, I didn't notice anything negative about the braking. Probably felt BETTER with the bigger tires honestly.
BUT, when pulling my flatbed trailer with full air brakes, I have to watch it because I will lock up the trailer's air brakes well before I get close to locking up the brakes on my 818 (and it definitely can lock them up!)

Coldfusion21

Not sure about his, but on my 818 with 16's, I didn't notice anything negative about the braking. Probably felt BETTER with the bigger tires honestly.
BUT, when pulling my flatbed trailer with full air brakes, I have to watch it because I will lock up the trailer's air brakes well before I get close to locking up the brakes on my 818 (and it definitely can lock them up!)

This intrigues me. Have never driven an air braked trailer setup, wouldn't a proportioning valve of some sort make sense? In your example i would think the trailers brakes are getting beat on pretty good because they are going to try and slow the truck down before the trucks brakes have a chance to.

I may be completely off target, but figured i would ask.

jimmcld

I haven't driven the truck yet. The local big truck supplier only had one left hand lug nut in stock, so I had to use what I had and just put the spindles on the rest of the bolts. It only has four real nuts on one of the wheels and I'm not going to drive it until the others come in.

I also have a flat bed trailer with air over hydraulic brakes. It does tend to lock up the trailer brakes when the trailer is empty. Makes a lot of noise. However, with 8000 lbs on the trailer, I've had no problems.

Thanks for all the positive responses.

Jim

Hammer

This intrigues me. Have never driven an air braked trailer setup, wouldn't a proportioning valve of some sort make sense? In your example i would think the trailers brakes are getting beat on pretty good because they are going to try and slow the truck down before the trucks brakes have a chance to.

I may be completely off target, but figured i would ask.
What it probably means is I need to adjust the brakes on the 818. If they have to move too far before contact, then you have already applied the brakes on the trailer.

But, having air brakes on a trailer that is fairly empty (I have only towed with about 7k lbs on it so far,) is ALWAYS asking to skid the tires with very little brake application.
Add to that the air assist on the 818 doesn't react the same, and it takes a little getting used to.

Hammer

Oh, and the wreckers look so darn nice with the big tires on them!
It seems shallow, but on the 818, I think the way it rides, looks, etc. outweigh the power loss.

srodocker

seeing a 818 lock up with a trailer and a 715 w/101 when your behind them is a site not to see haha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks