• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

baby HEMTT drag link adjustment

Jones

Baby HEMTT update.

I'm assembling the steering on the baby HEMTT and have come up on a little detail I can't get o good answer for.

Adjusting the drag link ends is controlled by tightening or loosening "adjusting plugs" that push the ball seats together and down against a coil spring. This is the basic design for the 5 ton axles I'm using (late M800 and M900 series 5 tonners)

Now, I've already gone to my TM library and TM 9-2320-260-20, sect. 9-12 "Drag link adjustment", page 9-33, instruction line 7 sez:
"Tighten adjusting plugs, then back off adjusting plugs until holes align".

Fine... but how tight is "tighten"? Up against the spring?, Up against the spring then X number of turns more?, Until the adjusting plug compresses the spring to the point where the stem on the ball seat and the stem on the safety plug contact each other inside the spring?

Has anyone else done a drag link change or adjustment and if so, what settings did you use?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-8022 says about the same thing. "Screw adjusting plug tight, then back screw out one-half turn or less until new cotter pin can be installed". Tight I would assume means remove any and all clearances.

Jones

Thanks Kenny.
The same manuals that tell you in great detail which way to turn a light bulb in order to remove or install it, gets wonderfully vague at just the wrong moment.
The mechanic at my local truck stop sent me away with this gem; 'aww, just keep tightening it 'til it don't feel sloppy no more'.

USMC6062

Baby HEMTT update.

I'm assembling the steering on the baby HEMTT and have come up on a little detail I can't get o good answer for.

Adjusting the drag link ends is controlled by tightening or loosening "adjusting plugs" that push the ball seats together and down against a coil spring. This is the basic design for the 5 ton axles I'm using (late M800 and M900 series 5 tonners)

Now, I've already gone to my TM library and TM 9-2320-260-20, sect. 9-12 "Drag link adjustment", page 9-33, instruction line 7 sez:
"Tighten adjusting plugs, then back off adjusting plugs until holes align".

Fine... but how tight is "tighten"? Up against the spring?, Up against the spring then X number of turns more?, Until the adjusting plug compresses the spring to the point where the stem on the ball seat and the stem on the safety plug contact each other inside the spring?

Has anyone else done a drag link change or adjustment and if so, what settings did you use?

I ran into the same problem when I was putting my truck together. I found that same information in the TM. Once you put it together, it will make since. The plug will bottom out, about the same time it becomes flush with the end of the drag link. So tighten it up, then back off just enough so the cotter pin hole lines up. I took pictures of the 5 ton before I pulled it apart and the plugs were ran in flush.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks