• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

back on the forum

seniqsurfer

I was on a slight hiatus for a bit getting a few things settled. Looks like I'm ready to get back into the stress of MV.

Sometime this week, or next, I should be taking a small trip to look at picking up a M977 HEMTT.

Chris2270

New guy here. I'd like to own a HEMTT, but wonder what a person does with one of these things. Can it be road registered? Where do they get driven and for what purpose? Would I need a CDL? I can't believe the auction prices are so low on these beasts. I would just drive it for fun

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is quite the jump back in! I'm envious, but know I couldn't handle one on my own.

New guy here. I'd like to own a HEMTT, but wonder what a person does with one of these things. Can it be road registered? Where do they get driven and for what purpose? Would I need a CDL? I can't believe the auction prices are so low on these beasts. I would just drive it for fun
The answer to those questions depends wholly upon your local state and county. You'll have to do your own leg work and research with your Department of Transportation, Department of Motor Vehicles/Carriers, insurance and etc.

seniqsurfer

Well, as far as I know it's legal for the streets here in Texas. As far as the CDL I'm not entirely sure yet. It's not being used for commercial purposes so on that hand is say no, but it's weight is unreal and it's not exactly "easy" to deal with on side roads.

That being said, I currently drive a 2008 Caiman MRAP for displays at the museum and that around 40k lbs with NO CDL. That's a completely different beat though, can't see out the thick tiny windows, mirrors constantly fold in while driving, hates going up any kind of hill, and people still cut me off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks