• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back up lights?

cbvet

I use my Deuce at night a lot, sometimes in thick woods or tight places. I really need to install some good back up lights.
Has anyone come up with a nice setup that looks like it "belongs" on a Deuce?
Any suggestions appreciated.
CBVET

acetomatoco

Just add a pair of Armor headlights under the body in the rear and a manual switch like a convoy light switch to activate... put a 2 to 1 connector into the headlight switch harness then they will not activate unless headlights are on.. RAM

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am about to do this and have it all planned out. When I do it, I wlll post pics, etc. Soon, give me a month or so.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't have any pictures of the actual installation, but the shaft circled in the image below hits a limit switch when the transmission is placed in reverse.
There is also a back-up alarm and a kill switch for the circuit.
I have meant to get some pictures, but it's under the "tunnel cover" and not easily accessible.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Manual switching is ok but don't forget to turn it off before you hit the road again...!!!

If you have the airshift t-case the linkage between tranny and t-c is obsolete. So I cut off 2 inches of the 1st-reverse shift shaft, fabbed a cup with a lateral mounted switch and press fitted it (using Loctite 518) into the seal housing, thus eliminating the seal and also one of all possible leaking areas.
Almost any common switch with a spring loaded ball tip will do and it will look and work like it "belongs" there! :wink:

Gerhard

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Citizen, the picture is a year old, got new 1100-10 NDCC's now. Even got new tires for the M105 trailer with the right wheels from a cable reel trailer in Oklahoma. That was some trip, let me tell you.

5tonpuller

I use the boom lites if i need lite when in the back em up mode.
With the 5 tons you can also hook a pressure switch on the air line for the transfer case

rmgill

I have a flood mounted just like Bjorn, but my light is manually switched. The advantage is that when I'm towing at trailer at night I can check the trailer.

I just picked up a spare old style tail light that I think I'm going to mount on the bows so It faces the inside of the cargo cover for a spare light.

citizensoldier

rmgill. I think I would take cranetrucks idea and combine it with yours and have a great set up. Some type of manual overide so you can click them on while your working back there and like you said to check on a trailer.
cranetruck that makes better sence now. With that nice fancy truck you sure would need some good rubber under it. Did you mean you put M135 rims on your M105 too? Cool man real cool.....Thanks for sharing your ideas..

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like where cranetruck's backup light is, I think that would be on the under-bed strut?

I used a battery and tried 2 kinds of powerful lights cheaply available from auto parts stores. They are chrome but either could be painted OD to remove the bling effect. Picked up a pair of clear rectangular "fog lights", and found that they make a thin bar or strip of light. I turned the bulbs 90 degrees inside the reflector (had to modify the bulb flange) and it thickened up the bar quite a bit but was still far from a floodlight. I did not like them very much. I then bought a pair of "baja lights" which are some long-throw high beams. They are about 8" diameter and 100 watts each. A note on such cheapies: The negative terminal of the lamp itself is often grounded unavoidably so putting them in series for 24V could be a problem (bit I have 12V available so no real issue). I'd like to use the baja ligths and defocus them a bit. I believe this can be done by painting the reflectors white with some high temperature exhaust manifold paint or primer.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the M105 trailer with new tires and wheels to match the deuce.
It's illuminated by one of the flood lights. The second light is also turned on and shines on the deck from behind the boom. They do make excellent work lights.

Attachments

TheBuggyman

rmgill said:
Here's my setup in this thread. For a regular deuce, there's a bracket with a hole already drilled that's perfect for a flood.
Looks good, Ryan. I need some reverse lights and I'll probably put them right where you did! I was thinking of going manual with them also unless someone has an easy to install kit for a five ton.

rmgill

The trick with the switch is mounting it up. A manual switch is easier, but eventually, i'll wire up things just like Bjorn did and run the power for that reverse lever switch off of the lighting controls. That way it only comes on when the lights are on. Not a high priority right now though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks