• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

backing up in low

DieselBob

Let's be clear. You can shift from low to high while moving?

I have always came to a complete stop while shiftng the TC.
The transfer case in the deuce is synchronized, unlike most tc's. You can use it as an auxiliary transmission. Now if I can come up with a decent mod to install a regular shift lever this would be a perfect setup.

mcmullag

high or low with transfer case

I have tried Wreckerman's method of shifting and it works fine.

....start up with transfer case in low range, 2nd gear,
then third , fourth, fifth,
then switch transfer case to hi range on the fly,
and move transmission to fourth, then go back up
to fifth gear.

appreciate all the knowledge you pass along sir ......

[thumbzup]

6X6 ALL THE WAY

I too found the low 2-3-4-5 hi 4-5 is the best way to drive. Don't have to fight 1st to 2nd. My tranny and transfer case was rebuilt in 06 and the tranny is real tight. My other truck is a older rebuild and is much looser makin it easier.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Keeping all the transfer case linkage well lubed helps make the shifting smoother.

If I bob my spare deuce I am going to experiment with using an electric solinoid to go from LO to High.....mabe make it as smooth as shifting a big rig.

fasttruck

When "split shifting" or shifting both transmissions at the same time as when 5th low is achieved and the next gear is 4th high, always upshift first: I.e. Auxilary and the main. When going down through the gears as from 4th high to 5th low: Move main first (upshift) and then the transfer (downshift). This concept is universal to split shift trucks; all those b model macks are shifted the same way. Which lever or stick is upshifted moves first. Otherwidse you are at risk of having a considerable number of truck parts scattered on the ground and you will be non mission capable.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keeping all the transfer case linkage well lubed helps make the shifting smoother.

If I bob my spare deuce I am going to experiment with using an electric solinoid to go from LO to High.....mabe make it as smooth as shifting a big rig.
WM, Why not go with an air cylinder? That way you could add a high/low switch on the stick just like the big rigs. Should be as simple as attaching a air cylinder directly to the shift rod and running air lines to your switch on the shifter.

:idea: Now you've got me to thinking. I may try this mod on my truck. I already have an air shifter for my dump control.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Better have a 220 volt cause it's going to need a lot of ass.

jimm1009

I hate to put this question here since it should probably go in the modification side but has anyone that is basically a full-time or mostly full-time heavy deuce driver done a modification to the transfer case lever to make it more easily reached for shifting in the suggested method here in this thread (and -10 TM)?
The design of the shift lever for the transfer case is not for full time shifting because it is not lubricated and the the bolts simply slide through the lever. There are no lubrication points or bushings in these areas which translates to low use items.
This shift lever alteration would require a modification to the bench seat or removal and installation of another driver's seat to make room for an extention handle or reshaping.
Side note; Due to a severly floppy transfer case shift lever on my truck, I did drill mine out about .020 and press in bronze bushings. I next installed close tolerance, shouldered bolts with the appropriate nuts.
No more "floppy" lever but I digress and detract from this thread.
Perhaps e-mail me your answers.
Thanks,
jimm1009 here on s.s. e-mail; jimm1009@yahoo.com

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will just interject a couple of thoughts. The on the deuce and 5 ton on the go shift synchronized transfer, forward or reverse, is a nice feature. Each driver can use it as it best suits his needs or comfort level.
I will also add that for decades the vast majority of civilian trucks without any special add-ons to the transmission or auxiliary transmissions have not had anything like the two speed transfer case. I have driven them thousands of miles with no clutch problems and no problems backing up.

Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks