• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Backup Light Troubleshooting - M1009

cmroles

Basic electrical theory says this would work, but I'd like a 2nd opinion before attempting....

I pulled my backup light switch out of the steering column and it is CRUSTY looking. Totally covered in dirt and the contacts look nasty.

To test the circuit I should just be able to stick a jumper wire into the wiring harness to see if the reverse lights active. Does anyone have any reason why this wouldn't work (or would be a bad idea)?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, you can try that. Does the dark blue wire on it have power?

cmroles

yes, you can try that. Does the dark blue wire on it have power?
There is power at the harness. I ohm'd out the reverse light switch and it goes to a short when the little actuator arm is lined up with the spade connectors on the housing. Mechanically the switch seems to be working, so I think the problem is the severe amount of dirt on it!

cmroles

I took apart and thoroughly cleaned the reverse light switch. I also put a little dialectric grease on the contacts inside.

After re-installing the switch into the steering column (what a PITA!!) the reverse lights work. However, if you jiggle the gear selector on the column a little bit, they will go out. I then have to go to either Park or Neutral and back to Reverse to get them to come on again.

It seems like its just barely making contact and a little jiggle moves it out of its range. Is there an adjustment that can be made? From what it says in the -20 putting it in Park should automatically adjust it. Hopefully there is some sort of additional tweak I can make?

Thanks