• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bad 14 bolt

2deuce

I'm intending to sell the axles out of a M1031. I took off the covers to see how they looked and the front was open where I expected a limited slip and it was dry. The rear was full of metal on the magnet and I'll post a picture. I bought this residue from Ft Lewis WA a few years back. I was at one time thinking I would change out the 10 bolts in my M1009 and these axles sat outdoors for 2 years waiting. What do you think this mess came from? I would rotate the wheels if they weren't in the back of my trailer.

Thanks

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure looks like bearing cage material to me. As far as the open front, that is what I would have expected.

2deuce

I always had it in my mind that the m1031 had a limited slip in there. I'm not sure why I thought that.
Bearing cage is what I thought too, I just haven't seen one trashed before. Somebody must have drove it awhile after they knew it was bad. They blew up the engine too. I'm wondering if the rear in it's present condition is sellable, cause I don't have time for it right now. I'm having trouble finding out what these axles are going for in my area.

Thanks again

rustystud

I always had it in my mind that the m1031 had a limited slip in there. I'm not sure why I thought that.
Bearing cage is what I thought too, I just haven't seen one trashed before. Somebody must have drove it awhile after they knew it was bad. They blew up the engine too. I'm wondering if the rear in it's present condition is sellable, cause I don't have time for it right now. I'm having trouble finding out what these axles are going for in my area.

Thanks again
The 14 bolts are very common. Now if it was a DANA 70HD that would be a different matter and a whole lot more money ! A trashed 14 bolt might get $100.00 here in Washington if your lucky.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear still may have some limited value for a buggy or off roader. The gear set may be salvagable for that kind of low speed use and it does (or should) have a Detroit NoSpin in the back. That is an easy drop in for any open carrier 14 bolt.

richingalveston

pull the Detroit locker in the 14 bolt and put it in new used 14bolt. or rebuild what you have probably need new gear set but the carrier and all other parts (except bearings) should be ok.

If you rebuild it, you know what you have.

The dana 60 is worth 1200 by itself a good 14 bolt with the Detroit is worth 800 without Detroit 300 in your condition $100 without locker/ $400 with.

yes the locker is a $500 part.

If your dana 60 was a limited slip it would be worth an additional 300 to 500.

I have a dana 60 with eaton e locker. just rebuilding it with all new bearings and seals and adding the locker cost over $1000.

I would not sell it for $2500 because it would probably take more than that to replace it with another rebuild and locker.

If you Plan on putting on your 1009 in the future, keep it and start the rebuild process. or junk it and save locker for when you are ready. finding the 14 bolt is easy. one with a locker already in it is not that easy.

Skinny

Yeah...I would vote to that the Detroit in your axle is probably worth more than $100.

My M1031 has a clutch style LSD. Not the best unit out there on the market but better than open.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add this. If ultimately you wanted the 14 bolt for a blazer, you might consider shopping for on (or at least a housing) out of a 3/4 ton truck or burb. These are usually not cost prohibitive and the spring a shock mounts will be in the proper location.

2deuce

I originally thought I would save these axles for my blazer, but for the way I drive and the offroading I do, I don't need them in it. I think the 10 bolts are strong enough for me. I also don't think the 6.2 makes more power than a 10 bolt can handle, especially in a M1009 kept stock. Which is probably why the military ordered them with 10 bolts. You can see I've talked myself out of doing it. I really appreciate the advice here(always have).

Thanks again

rustystud

Yeah...I would vote to that the Detroit in your axle is probably worth more than $100.

My M1031 has a clutch style LSD. Not the best unit out there on the market but better than open.
Your assuming the locker is OK. With all that material floating around the differential I would doubt it. Again we are talking about a trashed differential. Would you buy it for $500.00 ?

Glockfan

Thanks again
My M1031 has a limited slip... In the third or fourth character of the VIN a "D" usually indicates LSD if I recall correctly... Someone correct me if I am wrong. I may be...