• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bad a$$ r/c b29

BSH

How about "those guys" can fly, since the X-1 & B29 had different pilots. That was awesome. How much spare time and money does it take to be able to do that, I wonder?

littlebob

BSH said:
How about "those guys" can fly, since the X-1 & B29 had different pilots. That was awesome. How much spare time and money does it take to be able to do that, I wonder?
Same thing I was thinking.

littlebob

Banshee365

Hey guy's. I compete at the national level in precision and freestyle aerobatics with giant scale aerobatic airplanes. Been flying R/C airplanes since I was 8 years old and variants of the aerobatic B-29 have been around for years. That is Mac Hodges of Andersonville, GA and Hodges Hobbies. He's a great guy and that B-29 in the video is the 2nd I know of as the first crashed. The 2nd was bigger and better with an almost 1:1 power-weight ratio and a larger 18' wingspan. He uses differential power from 4 ZDZ 80cc single-cylinder engines to get it to flat spin good and such.

Yall are correct that Mac flies the B-29 and the X-1 has another pilot. Mac is world renowned in our industry and has been hitting airshows with his B-29 for as long as I can remember.

Unfortunately the B-29 in the video was lost only 2 weeks ago in Kentucky at an airshow when they forgot to tighten the wing bolts. In a flat spin one of the wing panels slid out on the tube and when he tried to pull out it folded and that was all she wrote. Here is a video of the crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbzId0vQGM

To add more sentiment to the story, the builder of the 18' B-29, a great friend of Mac's, passed away only a month or so ago from today from cancer. Knowing Mac and his long list of friends he'll have another B-29 going in the near future. For now, that one will be missed.

-Kelly