• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Bill for Title Military Surplus Off Road Moves to Virginia Senate

donkren

From the SEMA Action Network Website:

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2018VA4&g=SEMAGA

UPDATE: Virginia Bill to Title Military Surplus Off-Road Vehicles Passes House; Moves to Senate

DON’T DELAY! Please contact the Virginia State Senate Committee on Transportation Immediately to request support for H.B. 1323:

• [*=left]H.B. 1323 allows military surplus off-road vehicles to be registered as antiques.
    [*=left]H.B. 1323 defines a “military surplus off-road motor vehicle" as a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (or HMMWV, a vehicle more commonly known as a Humvee) that was manufactured by or under the direction of the United States Armed Forces and subsequently authorized for sale to civilians
    [*=left]Under current Virginia law, “antique” vehicle registration is available for vehicles that are at least 25 years old and not used for general transportation.

Overview: Virginia legislation (H.B. 1323) was introduced to allow qualifying military vehicles to be registered and operated on public roadways as “antiques”. This bill has passed the House and is now in the Senate Transportation Committee.

From the Virginia General Assembly Website:

https://committees.lis.virginia.gov/subcommitteeaction.aspx?ses=181&bil=HB1323

Military surplus motor vehicles; registration and operation on highways. Authorizes the Department of Motor Vehicles to issue a registration card and license plates for military surplus motor vehicles, as defined in the bill. The bill authorizes the use of military surplus motor vehicles for purposes similar to those authorized for antique motor vehicles. The bill exempts military surplus motor vehicles from emissions standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

kcobean

If you're in VA - Bad legislation coming our way

There is a house bill that hits the senate for a vote next week that will effectively make it illegal to drive a HMMWV on road in VA unless in or to a parade, off road event, in transit for maintenance or sale, or "pleasure driving" within 250 miles of home. HB1323 has passed the house and without any resistance it will likely clear the Senate and Northam will surely sign it into law.

I urge you, if you live in VA, to contact your Senator and urge them to vote NO on this bill until we can work on re-wording it to allow FMVs that pass state inspection to be titled for regular on-road use like any other vehicle.

Don't wait, this bill gets voted on in a few days!

kcobean

I can't fathom why SEMA is supporting this. They are going to retroactively apply this to all FMV's titled in the state prior to 1/1/18. It makes it a class 4 misdemeanor to drive your HMMWV to work. They are WAY off on this one. This bill needs to be reworded or dropped.

MaverickH1

THIS IS A HORRIBLE BILL.

It classifies all military vehicles as OFF ROAD vehicles and allows extremely limited use of them.

I will be going to the committee Senate hearing to voice my opposition to the bill unless it is amended. Military vehicles should be treated just like antique vehicles, in that you can OPT for the antique plate that allows you to keep it a show vehicle with fewer regulations, or you can title it like a normal vehicle that requires regular safety inspections.

The definition of the bill applies to ALL former military vehicles:

"Military surplus motor vehicle" means a multipurpose or tactical vehicle that was manufactured by or under the direction of the United States Armed Forces for off-road use and subsequently authorized for sale to civilians. "Military surplus motor vehicle" does not include specialized mobile equipment as defined in § 46.2-700, trailers, or semitrailers.
E. The Department shall issue appropriately designated license plates for military surplus motor vehicles registered pursuant to § 46.2-730.1.
§ 46.2-730.1. License plates for military surplus motor vehicles; fee; penalty.

A. On receipt of an application and evidence that the applicant owns or has regular use of another passenger car, autocycle, or motorcycle, the Commissioner shall issue a registration card and appropriately designed license plates to owners of military surplus motor vehicles. These license plates shall be valid so long as title to the vehicle is vested in the applicant. The fee for the registration card and license plates for any of these vehicles shall be a one-time fee of $50.

B. Military surplus motor vehicles registered with license plates issued under this section shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment, but shall only be used:

1. For participation in off-road events, on-road club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events; and

2. On the highways of the Commonwealth for the purpose of selling the vehicle, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in subdivision 1, and occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner. The registration card issued to the owner of a military surplus motor vehicle registered pursuant to this section shall indicate that such vehicle is for limited use.

C. Any owner of a military surplus motor vehicle applying for registration pursuant to this section shall submit to the Department, in the manner prescribed by the Department, certification that such vehicle is capable of being safely operated on the highways of the Commonwealth. Pursuant to § 46.2-1000, the Department shall suspend the registration of any vehicle registered with license plates issued under this section that the Department or the Department of State Police determines is not properly equipped or is otherwise unsafe to operate. Any law-enforcement officer shall take possession of the license plates, registration card, and decals, if any, of any vehicle registered with license plates issued under this section when he observes any defect in such vehicle as set forth in § 46.2-433 1000.

D. Any owner of a military surplus motor vehicle registered with license plates pursuant to this section who is convicted of a violation of this section is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. Upon receiving a record of conviction of a violation of this section, the Department shall revoke and not reinstate the owner's privilege to register the vehicle operated in violation of this section with license plates issued pursuant to this section for a period of five years from the date of conviction.

E. The provisions of this section shall apply to all owners of military surplus motor vehicles registered with the Department under any other provision of this Code prior to July 1, 2018. Such owners shall, based on a schedule and in a manner prescribed by the Department, reregister such vehicle and receive an appropriately designed license plate in accordance with this section. The Department shall cancel the registrations of vehicles owned by persons that, prior to January 1, 2019, do not re-register such vehicle with the Department.

Last edited:

kcobean

I don't support this bill AT ALL. If you read it carefully, it limits for what purposes you may drive a FMV on public roads. Driving your HMMWV to work will be a class 4 misdemeanor if this passes. We will probably be going down to Richmond to fight this. If there were any provision in here that said "if the vehicle can pass a state inspection, it can receive standard passenger vehicle plates and registration card", I'd be more inclined to support it. There are owners here in VA that use their truck as a daily driver. This bill will kill that for him.

Drive your car to the store for groceries? Misdemeanor? Work? Misdemeanor. Drive more than 250 miles from your home? Misdemeanor.

And then they yank your tags and registration for 5 years.

How is this a good bill again?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't support this bill AT ALL. If you read it carefully, it limits for what purposes you may drive a FMV on public roads. Driving your HMMWV to work will be a class 4 misdemeanor if this passes. We will probably be going down to Richmond to fight this. If there were any provision in here that said "if the vehicle can pass a state inspection, it can receive standard passenger vehicle plates and registration card", I'd be more inclined to support it. There are owners here in VA that use their truck as a daily driver. This bill will kill that for him.

Drive your car to the store for groceries? Misdemeanor? Work? Misdemeanor. Drive more than 250 miles from your home? Misdemeanor.

And then they yank your tags and registration for 5 years.

How is this a good bill again?
That's what happens when people spend more time trying to get around the rules , than getting involved with changing them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe some people misunderstood the intention of selling the humvees as off road only.

kcobean

That's what happens when people spend more time trying to get around the rules , than getting involved with changing them.
I'm not sure what you mean. I bought an M998 that was titled in UT. All I did was transfer it in state like any other vehicle. I went and got the truck state inspected and then went to the DMV and got VA title and registration for it. There was no "getting around the rules".

MaverickH1

Maybe some people misunderstood the intention of selling the humvees as off road only.
Mine was never OFF ROAD USE ONLY.

Are you saying you support this bill?

Besides, this bill targets ALL MILITARY VEHICLES. Not HMMWVs. Regardless of what the summary says, the body of the bill is crystal clear about it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I'm saying is, maybe some states are taking these actions because so many of the recently sold vehicles are showing up on the streets.

No I don't support it. I have several former military vehicles. They are registered for several purposes and used in accordance with my states rules.

I'd hate to lose that freedom, but I believe it could happen.

Just look at my states decisions on restricting my rights as a gun owner.(please no discussion on this topic).

Last edited:

donkren

My truck is not off road use only. I bought a M1097 that had a clean SF97, but am still having trouble registering it because it is not certified by the manufacturer as meeting FMVSS. Nor will it ever be certified, as vehicles manufactured for and sold to the US Military are exempt from FMVSS. Almost none are certified as compliant. This requirement is creeping into many state laws and seems now to be gaining wide implementation. The fact that a vehicle has been registered in the past will not hold much sway if the DMV determines that the registration was issued in error. I'd like to think this bill is someone's attempt to push back, and specifically allow for on road use. Perhaps limited use is all they could get written into a bill. You need to research the issue and contact your reps and the bills sponsors to advocate for yourself.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure what you mean. I bought an M998 that was titled in UT. All I did was transfer it in state like any other vehicle. I went and got the truck state inspected and then went to the DMV and got VA title and registration for it. There was no "getting around the rules".
I'm just saying look at the number of closed threads on people wanting to register HMMWV's that were sold as "OFF ROAD ONLY" . Was yours sold as "OFF ROAD ONLY' before it was titled in Utah ? Did it have a EUC also? Just because you didn't sign the EUC doesn't mean you can export it.
Kind of like what doghead mentioned in post #8.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This bill gives a little something to the hmmwv owners... (far too little IMHO).

And in return severely restricts the use of all the other FMV's. The primary meat of the bill is to impose restrictions.

I don't see why any MV enthusiast would support it.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd call it knee jerk legislation.

Never good.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This bill gives a little something to the hmwwv owners... (far too little IMHO).

And in return severely restricts the use of all the other FMV's. The primary meat of the bill is to impose restrictions.

I don't see why any MV enthusiast would support it.
The one in Hawaii looks like it could be worse. The people in these states need to get organized and involved like was done in Georgia (in near record time) a few years ago that started with the M939 series trucks or accept what they get.
There is a lot of information on how to get things done in the Wisconsin and Georgia threads on the problems they went through.

MaverickH1

I'm trying to organize. Getting as many people as possible to show up to the VA Senate Subcommittee hearing on this that will be happening Wednesday 2/28.

I plan on opposing the bill as written, but offering an amendment which I and it appears everyone else will support.

I will propose handling former military vehicles like Antique vehicles. If you want to use it for show purposes, a one time registration fee, no state inspections. If you want to use it like a regular road vehicle, you have to pay yearly registration and pass the annual required safety inspections just like every other vehicle.

In that case, everyone should be able to get what they want.

This is NOT a problem because of HMMWVs. This is a problem of a nanny state government who are experts on nothing and are asked to regulate everything. With the ever increasing safety requirements, this was inevitable in our society.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't fathom why SEMA is supporting this. They are going to retroactively apply this to all FMV's titled in the state prior to 1/1/18. It makes it a class 4 misdemeanor to drive your HMMWV to work. They are WAY off on this one. This bill needs to be reworded or dropped.
It makes it a CRIME, not a ticket, to take your 5ton to home Depot to pick up supplies.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a politician that thinks he is doing good and trying to help the hmmwv crowd? But doesn’t realize he’s hurting the other mv crowd? I live in Virginia. I have a m35a2. The antique tag is a great thing. It does allow for occasional pleasure driving. My question has stated above. Is this person for or against military vehicles?

MaverickH1

Is this a politician that thinks he is doing good and trying to help the hmmwv crowd? But doesn’t realize he’s hurting the other mv crowd? I live in Virginia. I have a m35a2. The antique tag is a great thing. It does allow for occasional pleasure driving. My question has stated above. Is this person for or against military vehicles?
I have requested to speak with him on the issue. I haven't heard back yet, but I just found out about this bill today.

My suspicion is that this delegate was approached by someone who only cares about parades and car shows, so the delegate thinks he's going the right thing. I want as many people to show up as possible to say that isn't quite the case. And we need to organize.

If all you can do is make a phone call to your representatives, please do. I would encourage a wording that says:

"I oppose HB1323 as written, but I would support it if it was amended to treat former military vehicles as unrestricted if they were made to pass the Virginia State Safety Inspection."

Something to that effect, essentially.

Who is your senator? DeSteph is on the transportation committee.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks