• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Bill for Title Military Surplus Off Road Moves to Virginia Senate

aleigh

Thanks for that bit of info. After googling images of said vehicle it does look familiar. That thing appears to have an armored body so Uncle Sam will never surplus them out to private Citizens anyway. What is particularly disturbing about Va's ban is that it not only bans the current crop of MVs hitting the market, it is also banning the replacements for the vehicles currently serving...Before they even go to surplus.......

Matt
That gives you a clue that the belligerent may be the manufacturers' association as has been suggested, because there are zero JLTVs in civilian ownership so zero opportunity problems. Who else would even have awareness of that platform enough to raise it as an issue? Then again maybe some politician just got a little google happy one night and can't tell one thing from another. But again I wonder why they would care on their own, the lawmakers.

Ultra Mag

They don’t. And never will. Lawmakers only care about what people with money entice them to care about. They’ve never had an original thought in their tenure, and when I say “they” I mean all of them.
I started in the snow removal for VDOT in 2015 built 3 923a2s and 1 1083. All in hopes of helping me when I retire from excavating someday. Hopefully this year I can start making a profit, and if I cant get inspected there goes my retirement. NEVER TRUST THE GOVERMENT.aua

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started in the snow removal for VDOT in 2015 built 3 923a2s and 1 1083. All in hopes of helping me when I retire from excavating someday. Hopefully this year I can start making a profit, and if I cant get inspected there goes my retirement. NEVER TRUST THE GOVERMENT.aua
First it needs to snow ;-). We have been short on that for 3 years. Would love a 2 or 3 footer so I can go play. Wonder if VDOT would even realize it was not tagged? I have seen a couple M931's running around loudon county plowing state roads.

Ultra Mag

First it needs to snow ;-). We have been short on that for 3 years. Would love a 2 or 3 footer so I can go play. Wonder if VDOT would even realize it was not tagged? I have seen a couple M931's running around loudon county plowing state roads.
Trucks need to be tagged, insured, inspected by' state and again at VDOT yard . Not to mention a lot of BS in between. It was fun for about one year.

LonT

@#$& woman is drunk and wiped out everything I typed. Going to use fewer words this time so I don't have to dig a hole if she does it again. BTW, read all 27 pages and saw the "word" on 26.

Six months on inspections, three on tags. What are people experiencing? Is it bliss to be able to drive "off road only" on the road, or is it the doom and gloom of all MVs being circumcised? Anyone have 2019 experience with DMV or inspection in VA for the past three months.

Ultra Mag

@#$& woman is drunk and wiped out everything I typed. Going to use fewer words this time so I don't have to dig a hole if she does it again. BTW, read all 27 pages and saw the "word" on 26.

Six months on inspections, three on tags. What are people experiencing? Is it bliss to be able to drive "off road only" on the road, or is it the doom and gloom of all MVs being circumcised? Anyone have 2019 experience with DMV or inspection in VA for the past three months.
Im up for inspections soon, will let you know next month
, really worried about this BS!

L1A1

My M109 still has Antique tags......
I think if your MV was already tagged & titled when the law went into effect then you're good to go. It's anyone attempting to register/title one from here on out who's going to take it in the shorts.....

Matt

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgive me, I'm a bit late to the "party" on this one... in the past most of this type of discussion had gone "woosh" because I either had smaller vehicles or just not titled stuff/kept it off-road-only. But now that I'm looking at a m1084/m1089, I need to start paying attention to this. Because I will want to put it on the road occasionally.

What, practically speaking, does this mean for titling&tagging an LMTV in VA?

Regards,
SJ

L1A1

Forgive me, I'm a bit late to the "party" on this one... in the past most of this type of discussion had gone "woosh" because I either had smaller vehicles or just not titled stuff/kept it off-road-only. But now that I'm looking at a m1084/m1089, I need to start paying attention to this. Because I will want to put it on the road occasionally.
What, practically speaking, does this mean for titling&tagging an LMTV in VA?
Regards,
SJ
Well, as I understand it from here on out, you can only get the "HMV" tags with all their limited on road driving restrictions for your MV.......

Matt

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, as I understand it from here on out, you can only get the "HMV" tags with all their limited on road driving restrictions for your MV.......
Guess I'll be spending some quality time on http://www.dmv.virginia.gov this coming weekend. I actually was trying to figure out how to get 'milveh' tags for my tagged vehicles, so in that limited sense, this is ok with me. My guess is that the restrictions won't come into play for most people unless they're doing something like commuting 495 with one on the daily. And frankly, if you think about it, reasonable restrictions on them to discourage people driving our hobby/jobs/livings into the ground getting the groceries in them is a-ok with me.

Maybe it's just where I am in the state, but most LEOs here smile and wave.

L1A1

Guess I'll be spending some quality time on http://www.dmv.virginia.gov this coming weekend. I actually was trying to figure out how to get 'milveh' tags for my tagged vehicles, so in that limited sense, this is ok with me. My guess is that the restrictions won't come into play for most people unless they're doing something like commuting 495 with one on the daily. And frankly, if you think about it, reasonable restrictions on them to discourage people driving our hobby/jobs/livings into the ground getting the groceries in them is a-ok with me.

Unless there was a change made to the law, you are restricted to 125 miles of on road travel a year*. So yeah, your MV should last you a very long time. For those of us that like to drive our MVs a little more than that, this is a problem.

* proof of where the MV is garaged has to be kept with the vehicle at all times (so they can figure out how far you've driven it).
As for smiling & waving LEOs, that's fine until you run into the one who feels "you shouldn't be able to own that, those things don't belong on the road" and believe me, they're out there.

Matt

MaverickH1

Unless there was a change made to the law, you are restricted to 125 miles of on road travel a year*. So yeah, your MV should last you a very long time. For those of us that like to drive our MVs a little more than that, this is a problem.

* proof of where the MV is garaged has to be kept with the vehicle at all times (so they can figure out how far you've driven it).
As for smiling & waving LEOs, that's fine until you run into the one who feels "you shouldn't be able to own that, those things don't belong on the road" and believe me, they're out there.

Matt
I think it's 125 miles max length for a trip, not a yearly limit.

Ultra Mag

VDOT snow re

I went in yesterday with 1083 for inspection, all went well. Going to try to get 3 5 tons done today if I have time. Just kept my mouth shut on it.
NOW! I get an email saying vdot will no longer accept my mv for snow removal.3 5 tons 1 1083 . They have been tagged insured and inspected for approx. 4 years now. From what I here its the state police that's fighting us on this. Looks like I may be out approx 140.000 in equipment. Not to mention all drivers out of work. Im going to write VDOT a letter hoping this will help. I thought I would have been grandfathered in.:cookoo:

Crapgame

When you let the Government dictate how, where and how long you may use your own legally purchased property, they you don't really own it anymore. We all know these trucks are built tougher than most of the hybrids and other vehicles on the lots today. So what, it didn't come from the factory or depot with a tag light or backup lights, a 5 minute fix.

And then letting your right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness be dependent on whether the Policeman feels like whether to do his job or not is never a good thing either. Even in a day when state/local governments are picking and choosing which laws to obey or enforce, what is really happening is The Man deciding whom shall be made criminals on a daily basis with the attached punishments and reductions in civil liberties.

Now we have a Brother being deprived of his income and ability to employ other law abiding taxpayers, without due process or fair compensation, a violation of his 14th Amendment Rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks