• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Cluster PCB?

dc_cucv

So i pulled my insturment cluster today to replace my right turn signal indicator bulb and my cluster was not glowing I did make the mistake of not disconnecting the batteries, and when i pried the cluster out, i heard/saw a spark. I went to disconnect the batteries and continued with the bulb replacement.

The PCB did not look in too bad of shape for it's age. I got all the bulbs replaced and plugged everything back in, and now my right turn signal indicator light stays on (green) all the time. Turn signal still works when i turn it on and the light flashes, but it flashes slower than the left. I already replaced the flasher so hoping that isn't an issue.

Was thinking i shorted something when i pulled it with power connected. But also my gauges have always been dark without any glow, so i thought a PCB issue again.

I'm looking for the easiest/fastest fix. Whether it be order an LMC PCB for 70 bucks. I'd rather have peace of mind and replace it once rather than keep fiddling with it down the road.

Would that PCB also give my speedo back it's glow light?

I took a picture of the PCB when i had it out. I wiped it off with 99% isopropyl wipes and let it dry before putting it back in. Also i checked the connectors on all the bulb sockets and they were fine (used some sand paper to polish up some of the brass contacts).

Attachments

Last edited:

dc_cucv

Update: Waited til after dark to check again and i do have the speedo and fuel gauge glow. very faint but there.

So now the only issue is the right turn signal indicator stays lit all the time when the lights are on, and when i use the right turn signal, it flashes, but at a slower rate than the left turn signal (which is operating just fine).

Thoughts?

dc_cucv

well, you were right. I replaced the front running light bulb with an 1157A and the side marker with a 194 (had a 168 in there).
The turn signal indicator no longer stays on.....HOWEVER, now when i engage the right turn signal, the side marker, rear bulb flash, but the front running light does not. When i use the left turn signal, all three of those flash.
it's always something....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
well, you were right. I replaced the front running light bulb with an 1157A and the side marker with a 194 (had a 168 in there).
The turn signal indicator no longer stays on.....HOWEVER, now when i engage the right turn signal, the side marker, rear bulb flash, but the front running light does not. When i use the left turn signal, all three of those flash.
it's always something....
Kinda like @cucvrus mentioned, grounds can be a problem. WITH THE LIGHTS OFF, it might be worth getting one of those bulb socket brushes at the local parts house. Remove all the bulbs and "give em hekk" then use a little Anti-Oxidation paste on the base and sides of the bulb.

dc_cucv

well i'm ending up replacing the front marker sockets...went to replace the driver side bulb, and when inserting the new one, a piece of the socket snapped off (the ground lead) so now that light isnt working and the dash indicator is lit up. Ordered 2 new indicator and 2 new side marker sockets. Hopefully this should do the trick.

Regarding the passenger side - if the 1157 bulb is inserted wrong - the pins on the bulb base are offset - would that maybe cause the issue i'm having with it turning on, but not blinking when the right turn signal is applied?

Slightly off topic -

Ive read a few posts about the gauge lights and in particular how dim the cluster illumination is.
Is there any way to make it brighter? Ive seen mixed reviews on using maybe a brighter LED for the dimmable cluster light, but i know LED's can be funky with these older trucks. I tried using some LED 168's in the glow plug and fuel water lights and every time i used the horn those LED's would flicker.

I just want bright illumination on the speedo and fuel gauge.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
well i'm ending up replacing the front marker sockets...went to replace the driver side bulb, and when inserting the new one, a piece of the socket snapped off (the ground lead) so now that light isnt working and the dash indicator is lit up. Ordered 2 new indicator and 2 new side marker sockets. Hopefully this should do the trick.

Regarding the passenger side - if the 1157 bulb is inserted wrong - the pins on the bulb base are offset - would that maybe cause the issue i'm having with it turning on, but not blinking when the right turn signal is applied?

Slightly off topic -

Ive read a few posts about the gauge lights and in particular how dim the cluster illumination is.
Is there any way to make it brighter? Ive seen mixed reviews on using maybe a brighter LED for the dimmable cluster light, but i know LED's can be funky with these older trucks. I tried using some LED 168's in the glow plug and fuel water lights and every time i used the horn those LED's would flicker.

I just want bright illumination on the speedo and fuel gauge.
I have seen 1157's crammed into the socket backward. Have also seen them with the "high leg" ground off. The lights act "weird" when inserted the wrong way. It could be that somebody has been playing with the wiring - possibly for a non-standard trailer hookup?

The gauge lights being dim are often ground related problems. Cleaning really well and Anti-Ox on them help. I'd offer that you should stay away from LEDs because they tend to make more problems than they solve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks