• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Ground?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I drove the 1028 into town to get some Diesel and on the way home the heater stopped blowing. The Gen 1 light didn't come on and my VDO gauge still read 28.5 volts. 5 miles later when at a stop sign the turn signals wouldn't work eather. I got home and checked the heater fuse. It looked and ohm'ed ok. I put my multi meter on the fuse terminals and got 14.7 volts on both sides. That can't be right. I jumpered the fan motor from the battery and it worked good. When starting the truck the Gen lights come on like normal. With the truck running while I was under the dash the heater started blowing again. Does this sound like a bad ground to ya'll?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Rusty. That's what I'm thinking too. I'm thinking of adding some extra grounds between the body and the engine also.

MarcusOReallyus

I'm thinking of adding some extra grounds between the body and the engine also.
No need. Just clean what you have. If you need more grounds, it's between body parts, not between body an engine.

I put my multi meter on the fuse terminals and got 14.7 volts on both sides. That can't be right.
That's exactly correct. It should be the same if the fuse is intact.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marcus, That was with the fuse removed. To have voltage on both terminals that the fuse plugs into threw me.

cpf240

Marcus, That was with the fuse removed. To have voltage on both terminals that the fuse plugs into threw me.
Two things... GEN 1 shares the heater blower circuit. That may account for the strange readings. Secondly, the blower motor speed switch is known to have issues with poor connections, sometimes resulting in melted parts and magic smoke. I'd suggest pulling the speed fan speed switch and checking it out.

dependable

One other thing to check is the resistor for the blower motor, if it is rusted or shorted, it can cause strange symptoms on that circuit. That is in firewall behind the rear battery, just follow the wire from blower. If you have had mice in the blower motor housing, this problem is common.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks