• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad on the restart ? ?

jason@snakeriver

Bought a contract service truck out of Hill AFB. Of course it is winter now.
When you first turn on the key and the glow plug light comes on, you wait and it starts right up.
However, you turn it off and come back in a few minutes and the light might come on, or it might start up good without the light coming on.
But there are times that the light does not come on and you try to start, and no way is this thing going to start.
What is the problem ? ?

hobie237

I need a bit more info, as I see two possibilities. One is that the truck is started, run for a short while (not up to full operating temperature), you come back, and the glow plugs need to cycle on to start the truck- most of the time they do, and sometimes they don't and you can't start the truck.

The other possibility is that you have a fuel delivery problem on hot restarts, but that seems unlikely, as I'd figure the problem would present itself all the time.

Anyway, if it's #1, rip out the glow plug card and replace it with a manual switch. Or try a new card, but that's likely more expensive. If #2, inspect the pump and fuel lines.

m38inmaine

There is a temp sensor on the back of the lleft cyl head, if it is going bad it won't tell the glow card controller to turn the glow plugs on. Or it could be the card too. Next time it wont start try manually actuating the glow plugs and if it starts you know there is a problem in the glow plug circuit. If the engine is "HOT" as in driven up to normal op temp and it wont start after a few minutes than I would agree a suspect pump. If these trucks sit a long time without use it seems the pumps somehow go bad.

Martin T.

I am not trying to hijack this thread. I looked at a M1008 truck today. It would not start unless you jumped across the glow plug solenoid (next to the master cylinder) and after it was up to operating temp it would restart a few minutes later. He said he replaced all the glow plugs with new ones. The guy said he put a good but used solenoid on but still had to jump it. He said he could hear the relays under the dash clicked when you turned the key on but would not start unless you manually activated the glow plugs. I have no other info. I was looking at the truck to buy it. Any ideas. Thanks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks